Spotted blue GT500 in Arizona!

Russtang

Established Member
On my drive home yesterday, saw it going the other direction. Noticed the stripes and big bulging hood. I had to wait for the light to turn green, made a u-turn and QUICKLY caught up with him.

Some notes:

It was blue with grey stripes. Not a sonic blue, more of a greyish blue. Had BIG cobra fender emblems where they are on the 03/04s. No emblem/fake gas cap on the rear. Also, no SHELBY letters.

It had Michigan manufacturer plates. It also was instrumented with a laptop in the passenger area. He had I think the FR500(?) wheels as seen on the other mules with a bunch of aluminum tape stuck to a couple of spokes on each wheel (magnets for hall-sensor speed detectors?).

BIG (4-piston?) brakes. Painted black with no identification, other than a hand-painted "mustang cobra" or something like that in white letters.

Just two big headlights. Didn't notice the smaller round foglights. Didn't notice any snake in the grill either.

Hood didn't look as ugly as the yellow vented one as far as I could see. Maybe the stripes were continuous? The hood vents were definitely black. Also saw the base of the hood where it meets the windshield was completely closed in. There were some black plastic pieces that looked like they completely closed off all the airflow. I seem to recall my 03 being more open?

We stopped together at a light. He looked over at my fender, saw the cobra (or the Wilwoods), pointed and gave me a thumbs up. I pointed back at his car and gave HIM the thumbs up. Kicking myself for not having my camera.

This is the second time I'd seen a not-released mustang out here in the desert. First time was a camo-d '05. Gotta love hot-temperature proving grounds!

Russ

code918

Established Member
Where at in Arizona? I live in the east valley (Queen Creek), but work in the Phoenix area. I'm going to start carrying my camera if there is a GT500 running around

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
code918 said:
Where at in Arizona? I live in the east valley (Queen Creek), but work in the Phoenix area. I'm going to start carrying my camera if there is a GT500 running around

Either way, it's great to hear info! And yes, you lucky guys who get these previews, if you could try and keep some kind of camera in the car, that would be awesome. BTW, that color blue sounds mighty interesting...

Russtang

Established Member
code918 said:

I live in Chandler. It was going north on SR-87 (Arizona Ave). My guess is he was coming from the testing grounds in Yuma (or is that Tucson?).

The camera is now in the car!

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
I saw the camo colored '05 on the way home from Fireturd in March of 04. Queen Creek and Alma School heading east on Queen Creek road. Followed them for about a mile.

You'll probably see it again...they do a lot of testing in that area.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
I swear I seen it, was it in Surpise or nw phoenix. If it was it's a gt look alike,I smoked it w/ the Cobra

CGoeschel

Established Member
The blue car is for real.....I work at a Ford dealer right on Hwy 95 in Las Vegas....while our PDI manager was out on a road test he called in and said that he had just seen a greyish blue GT500...with grey stripes bulging hood and GT500 on the side......got a crappy phone pic...of the tail only....I'll see if he still has it. He said it was heading southbound on the 95 towards AZ.

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
I need to keep an eye out. I live in Payson, AZ (5000 feet) and we get alot of the test vehicles come up here for hot weather testing (climbing from 1000ft in the valley, up and down mountains to 5000+ feet). I see camo'd cars and trucks all the time.

When we lived in NV, we would see alot of test vehicles on Hwy 95. They would be doing hot weather testing in Death Valley.

eric n

Established Member
what a gip....I was driving to vegas last friday and saw some prototype vehichles (2 to be exact) with funky camo stripes painted zig zag all over them and some netting to disguise the sleek design lines. They were on highway 58 between mojave and barstow. Obviously doing high temp testing. First time I've seen such a sight.

But, my question is....Does anyone really give a crap what the new kia products look like? Who are they hiding this from? You guys get gt500, I get the new rio (might have been another kia car, I'm not really up on their names, though I have scraped one off my shoe one time.)

askiles

I can't stop MODDING!!!
Established Member
They might even test some vehicles on the Firebird road course where the Bondurant school of driving is? I did see a camo'd 05 Stang body of some type a few months ago, in the middle of Phoenix about 40th St. & Indian School. I wondered what it was. They really do just take them everywhere around here.

-Andy

Users who are viewing this thread