spitting and bucking-misfire

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
My sons terminator has been bucking and misfiring ever since he washed the motor..so i took a few plugs out. Do you think this was my problem? Check out the plugs, any thoughts on what would cause this?
DSC_0002.jpg

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
Update: she is purring like a kitten..5 plugs had broken ceramic at the tip, so i believe it was smothering the spark..what would cause this? Detonation? See pic
DSC_0060.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Detonation would be my first guess. I did have a set of Autolites where the ceramic disconnected from the metal and smothered the spark. Same thing happened to a buddy as well.

davidbettencour

Established Member
I personally run NGK (4177) TR6 @ .035 gap. It looks like the electrodes got really hot and bent.

I don't know how your son washed his engine, but if it was with a water hose that is a big NO NO on a Terminator! I only clean mine with a brush and spray bottle and microfiber rags. The reason for this is that the coil / spark plug covers do not seal 100%. Water gets in there and boils, creates steam and damages the plugs or the COPS or both. I Always clean the top end by hand only!

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
I recall years ago the denso plugs were having failing porcelain. New plugs will fix you up, your son should consider himself lucky the motor is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread