Spider gears help!

chris 96cobra

Established Member
i am installing ford racing 4.10's everything went smoothly ,till i go to put the spiders back in,i never done a 8.8 rear end before I have done my suzuki samurai gears like 4 time,but there nothing like a cobra's
i tried put one gear in at a time but couldn't get the other one in so i tried both still cant get ,i had a friend turn the axle an try to get them in for about a good 3-hours, so i'm takin a break for the night:fm: :bash: ,an maybe yall can give me some tips :bowdown: thanks

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
We just did mine last week-end. Is the trac-lok case sitting on your workbench?

It was time consuming for sure. With one guy holding the unit, the other guy must hold the gears and clutches in. Its a lot easier if you soak the clutches/chims in gear oil first b/c they will stick together. The last spider gear will probably have to be pried a bit with a screwdriver and rotated as you work it in. Its a slow and steady process for sure.

When we put the S spring in we compressed one side with needle-nose vise grips and it made it easier, but it still required the butt end of a hammer. Once its in you will have to rotate the spring and gears until the cross pin will slide in and also to slide the axle end in to line it all up.

Hope it comes together. My install was not as smooth as I hoped but well worth the aggravation.

Cheers
Mike

chris 96cobra

Established Member
mines in the car,i thought it had to be done in the car.that you had to slide the axle in first then c-clip em then put in the spiders.when i go to put in the second spider it like locks up my friend can't turn the axle with like a 1 1/2 foot long bar,so tell him not to put a lot of pressure on it dont to break or scar any thing up.i have used a screwdriver it help but still a long long process,but still haven't got it together :nonono:

chris 96cobra

Established Member
i got it, yall the trick is to work both in together it took about 30 min to finally get them at the right angle to both work them in.but now i am in the green i'm gona put on the girdle an brake an try em out :banana: :rolling: ..... :burnout: :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread