Spherical bearing longevity?

50blackout

Established Member
We all know that a spherical bearing is superior to a poly in a lower control arm (less bind, better articulation, etc.). However, one of the obvious shortcomings is the NVH. Personally I feel that I can live with a little NVH if it helps the wheel hop on these cars. The only thing I'm wondering is how do Spherical Bearings hold up? Poly bushings will eventually crack (some last awhile, I Know people who have been running theirs for years, but they don't push their cars) but do they outlast Spherical Bearings?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I installed Maximum Motorsport's S197 panhard bar as well as their Extreme Duty rear lower control arms over five years ago. Both utilize spherical bearings and are holding up extremely well. I do not suffer from typical NVH increase maladies. The key is to ensure that the manufacturer is using a high quality, multi-piece bearing, with a Teflon liner. I do not use a spherical on the rear UCA and am convinced that use of a steel joint at that juncture will indeed introduce some measure of harshness into the cabin.

Regardless of the manufacturer you may be considering, research the rod ends they use. Ask them specifically where they source them.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I have 5000 mile on my drake lower control arms, hotchkis upper, SR panhard, all are spherical. The NVM is real, I can hear the brakes going down the road as well as every major expansion joint. Tire stiffness changes the NVM as well and is more noticeable with all spherical pieces. I personal don't mind, that's why I have a radio. Everything is holding up fairly well, but I'm starting to get a little rattle out of one of the lowers at about 85 mph with the freeway expansion joints. I'll need to replace the spherical joint in probably in the next 5000 miles- I'll only replace the spherical joint, not the whole arm.

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
The street version does, but the race version are spherical on both ends--which is what I have.

Users who are viewing this thread