Spent all winter doing some mods and now I'm burning a good bit of oil.

trmnlfrst

Auto crossing-
Established Member
Haven't driven the car in 5 months while taking my time on a few modifications and waiting for the weather to break. Started it up today and it started burning a good bit of oil upon reaching normal temperature. Car hasn't ever burnt oil for me, plugs are always clean, 27,000 miles and this is what it had prior to December 2014: all the normal stuff associated with 2.2 KB, KB TB and BAP, SCT 2800 MAF, 60 lb. injectors, Fluidyne radiator and HE. The other stuff like exhaust and suspension stuff. So... what I've done since December 2014 includes, 26 spline and clutch/flywheel upgrade, JLT pre-filters on both sides, Cobra Engineering cooling mod and some more suspension stuff.

1. Refilled/burped the car, left it sit, checked coolant, started it up and drove it around the block maybe 5 times to check the clutch and let it warm up to check proper coolant level. I was thinking everything was ok and was on my street when it was at normal operating temperature, accelerated to 25 MPH and instant oil smoke out the back. Pulled in the driveway still smoking, parked, goosed the throttle a bit, more oil smoke.

2. Shut it down.

3. No coolant leaks from cylinder head mod, tank is full, thinking cooling system is ok.

4. Began pulling plugs, started drivers side and started working back towards firewall (which I think are 5-8) progressive amounts of oil on seats and insulators. Number 5 cylinder (or cylinder furthest from the firewall), mostly dry, 6 a little worse, 7 etc. You get the picture.

5. Upon pulling the coil cover and coils there were slight pops moving from cylinder 5 through 8. And not the usual pop from the rubber popping off so to speak, more of a pressurized push. Just that odd, have had the coils off numerous times but never heard/felt that before today.

6. Passenger side plugs slight oil on the seats, all of them.

7. Pulled pre-filters, PS mostly dry, DS slightly oily.

8. Pulled intake track, lip of throttle body has a good bit of fresh oil in it. (Never had an oily TB before, dirty yes, not oily).

9. No coolant in the oil.

So there it sits. Not sure what to think, haven't done a compression test yet though that may be in the works. Another conspiracy theory I've had is that for so long cylinders 7 and 8 got used to running hot and the rings seated as such, now it's cooler in 7 and 8 and the rings went wonky? Valve guides? Pre-filters letting the crankcase pressure push oil? I don't have any ideas so I'm tossing this problem to you guys to troubleshoot. If it has nuked 7/8 cylinders, why? I've never seen rings go instantly. I just don't know...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread