speedometer Q?

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
I got a ticket today for doing 83 in a 65 now the officer came back and said he would write it for 80 to save me some money and points...as it stands it comes with a 4 point ding and $180 fine now my question is I know damn well my speedo wasn't even close to 80 is there anyway I can have it checked out at a shop and provide proof to the court that the car may have a fault...the car is a fleet vehicle and is the first time I've driven it on the highway...

any help greatly appreciated...

p.s. I have a bad feeling I just saw that this is my 666 thread

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
the court wont take it. its not there fault if the car is faulty. sometimes, here in montana, they will give you a ticket for not having everything working properly. i dont know about fleet vehicles, but im pretty sure they wont even consider doing anything because of a faulty speedo.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Go to a reputable Dealership of the vehicles brand and have them check the calibration of the Speedometer and have them note how much it's off. Take that paperwork to your district attorneys office (Look at the top of the pink copy of the ticket) before the trial.

Be fore warned, Speeding in WI does not account for vehicle defects. It's a simple matter of if you were doing it or not. However, most DA's are more than willing to drop it if you can prove you were not doing it intentionally. Just explain to them it's a fleet vehicle and that you have no control over it's maintaince.

Or

Ask them to change it from a Speeding ticket to defective speedometer under WI Statute 347.41. That citation is only $156.20 and 2 points.

and it wont hurt to ask them to drop all the points and just pay the amount. Sad to say, but most Muni's just want the money, and unless you are a Hab. Traffic Offender could care less about the points.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
so I would plead no contest, and ask them to atleast drop the points or what...I will take the vehicle in I know I was obviously speeding a little but I had no idea I was going that fast...

thanks for your help...

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
so I would plead no contest, and ask them to atleast drop the points or what...I will take the vehicle in I know I was obviously speeding a little but I had no idea I was going that fast...

thanks for your help...

Pretty much.... Just make sure you go in before your court date.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
ford_racer said:
didnt you notice something was up? its quite noticeable when you are going 80, instead of 65
Depends on what vehicle he rented and what vehicle he is used to driving. Some cars are much quieter and more settled at 80 than a Cobra is a 65, too many variables to account for.

Users who are viewing this thread