Speedometer problem...sort of

west08

Established Member
I got an 2001 Cobra that I have had since Aug. of 2012. Ever since I bought it, when cold the speedo would bounce between 0 and 40 and work fine above 40 mph. After it was warm the speedo would pretty much work without issue. Fast foward to spring when I got the car out of winter hibernation, the speedo now only works above 65 mph no matter what. I just tried putting a vehicle speed sensor in since its only $20 and super easy to change. Didn't make difference.

Does anybody have an idea what it could be? I really don't understand how an electrical problem would only cause it to work above 65 mph. Could it somehow possibly be the cluster itself?

Cliff notes: Speedo doesn't work below 65 mph. New VSS didn't change anything.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sounds like something in the gauge cluster. Do all the other gauges work fine? It might be the stepper motor itself.

west08

Established Member
All other gauges are fine. I ran the dash diagnostic thing with the trip odometer switch where it does the gauge sweep and it worked fine all the way up and down.

Also just got my scan tool on it and the vehicle speed data showed 0 until I got up to 60-65. And there was also a P0720 code so I will look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread