Speedometer broken

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
So I'm driving my friend home last night and my speedometer catches my eyes cause it randomly decides to go up to 110 mph (5th gear @ 2000 RPM lol)....it then starts rising as I slow down (lol), and then drops again as I speed up (at one point it chilled @ 115 mph). After about 10 minutes it finally spun all the way around to the opposite side of where it sits at 0 and hasn't moved since. Pretty funny if you ask me (gotta love Fords).

Anyway my buddy has my repair manual that I'm gonna go grab from him later but anyone gone through this? I'm assuming it's going to be as simple as replacing the speedo cable?

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Cobranator said:
Your Cobra does not have a speedo cable. More than likely it's your speedo gears in the cluster that went south on you. Or maybe it's your VSS but I doubt that, those hardly ever fail but anything is possible. Her's a link to get new speedo gears if you need to replace them.
http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/ford.html

Is there anyway to test the speedo gear before buying a new one?

Cobranator

Established Member
NinetySixSVT said:
Is there anyway to test the speedo gear before buying a new one?

You'll have to pull out the cluster and actually look at the gears inside to see if they are shot or not. It's not all that difficult, the cluster comes out easily.

Users who are viewing this thread