Speedo Went Kablooey!!!

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
:shrug:Yesterday I was detailing the car for a late cruise nite when I realized the speedo pin was on the wrong side at 160..........outside of pulling the car out to detail, the last time I had it on the road was 3 weeks ago and it was working then. took it around the corner and speedometer didnt move.
when I had my 89 lx the speedometer was always makin noise and I had to get the cable lubricated soo maybe the cable snapped, all guages and dashboard stuff is working. I hate to have anything wrong with the car and want that fixed asap but am choosy who works on the car.
When detailing the engine bay I was spritzing, moving and rubbing could i have done it.
Thoughts??...thanx:)

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Our cars don't have speedo cables. It's electric. Maybe you spritzed in the wrong location?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the speed sensor is on the tailhousing of the trans and runs up into the engine compartment behinde the engine...i doubt "spritzing" would cause failure...

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
try holding the button in on the gauge cluster, start car, (while still holding button in) and let it go through test one which is gauges. That should either fix it or let you know you really have a problem.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Any update?
This thing gets nuttier...............Yesterday I called my shop and tell em the problem and they said bring it over:??:and tell me they have never seen a speedo resting on the 160 side..... so a tech hooks it up and we ride well its reading speed so the conclusion is the speedo just crapped out and my choice is to replace the whole cluster. They call and find a dealership with them so I pay for the cluster and set up an appointment when it arrives. I'm mad because with labor its close to 500 and Id rather be spending it on fun cool stuff...oh well I need a working speedo........:rolleyes:now the nutty part.
Its a 10 mile drive home, Im almost home and see Im going 55 mph WHAAAA...its working. I tried it a few times and it works every time including today. I call the shop and cancel the deposit and appointment (they were very good about it though they feel it will eventually crap out). But I cant see paying now when its working besides if it goes Im thinking maybe a different cluster something with autometer guages.;-)we'll see.

One more thing...........tho you told me its not possible ..... I still think I spritzed something and it dried...maybe:lol::lol::lol:.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Glad to here its working again. If you pick up another cluster out of a New Edge, Ford should be able to reprogram it with the proper mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread