Speedo problems

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok I tried the search with no luck if anyone knows what to search let me know but long story short anyone ever have their speedo work intermitently? The needle bounced a couple of times off the peg near 0 then back to reading what the car was doing and then went to 0 and didn't work for 7 miles then started working again. What does this mean is the speedo gear coming loose? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.:shrug:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The gear in the side of the trans may be getting chewed up. Check the harness for the VSS to see if it is loose while you are under there.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
^^^^^ Exactly what I was gonna say. The driven gear is plastic and gets brittle over time. If you pull it out of the tranny your prolly gonna find the gear chewed up.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
mine does it sometimes and i talked to a mustang shop and they said i needed to get another cluster. if i tap on it while it's doing it, it will read right again for a while. same problem?

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
The gear in the side of the trans may be getting chewed up. Check the harness for the VSS to see if it is loose while you are under there.

Sorry for my ignorance but whats the VSS and have you seen any how to's on the replacement the search function keeps kicking out the work speedometer so can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Jack the car up a little and slide under car at the drivers side door. The gear is on the drivers side of the tranny about halfway up. Towards the rear of the tranny you will see a thick black coated cable. It goes into the tranny kinda at a 45 degree angle. one bolt holds it in. That that bolt loose and the gear will come right out. I would check that before I go into the cluster. Its real easy to do.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Jack the car up a little and slide under car at the drivers side door. The gear is on the drivers side of the tranny about halfway up. Towards the rear of the tranny you will see a thick black coated cable. It goes into the tranny kinda at a 45 degree angle. one bolt holds it in. That that bolt loose and the gear will come right out. I would check that before I go into the cluster. Its real easy to do.

OK thanks I forgot to mention I have 4:10's and the speedo reads correct so I assume it has had a speedo gear changed or a speedcal intstalled was done before I bought it will the gear look different than stock some how and if so how thanks.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I cant speak for the speedcal, but every gear has its own color. Here is a link just to show you what I mean by the colors.

Speedometer Gear Selector

The gear that is prolly worn off is the "driven" gear. The "drive" gear is inside the tranny and spins the driven gear. Most T-45's trannys come with a 7-tooth drive gear. Mine has a 6-tooth (thats the way it was when I bought it used). That eliminates the need to have a pro-cal for 4:10 gears. I have 3:73's so I don't have this problem anyway. Going by the chart I run a 18-tooth driven gear, which is yellow. My mph is spot on. I hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread