Speedo not working after 3650 swap

sptzvnm

Established Member
I have a 1996 Cobra that at the time of purchase came with a Super Comp AODE. I like banging gears so I decided to sell the AODE and buy a 5-speed. I came across a good deal on a 3650 with less than 1000 miles. After the install, the speedometer does not work. Does anyone have any suggestions on correcting this problem? Thanks.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
What year 3650? The 3650's were digital speedometers, no speedo gears. So you'll have to swap out the digital for a speedo gear. You can find one out of a used tranny.

Or if this is the problem then you have an excuse to put another gauge cluster in there.

sptzvnm

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I had several people suggest the 3650 over the T-45, because it was suppose to be a better transmission. I guess I should have done a little more research. Now that good deal does not look so good. Thanks again.

Iceman12

Established Member
3650's speedo set up is the same as my T-56's. You need the digital speedo sensor, (got mine form dealer for about 40 bucks i think), and you need a extended range speedcal (100 bucks). Then you just follow install directions. set the pins for your rear gears, and you are good to go.

Aparently the output of the newer speed senor is different than the old one, so you need the extended range speedcal to calibrat the signal down to work with you speedo.

Users who are viewing this thread