Speedo Inop

4.6stanger

Established Member
Need some advice recently bought this car and need to fix this prob, got a 96 cobra engine backed with tr-3650 trans, my prob is that my speedometer doesnt work....ive got power at the cluster when i cycle the key on, checked for voltage at the VSS and its present, was gonna buy a VSS for the trans, but was told that im wasting my time since im needing a DM speedcal for it to work since im not running the t45...does this make any sense??:??: Thanx for any input. ;-)

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
SpeedCal, your running a digital odometer trans in a mechanical odometer car, your basically getting no signal from your VSS

4.6stanger

Established Member
Ok so i do need a speedcal then....does it matter if im running these autometer guages?
coupra214.jpg

4.6stanger

Established Member
I'd say you still need a speed cal.

Ok sorry for asking...but on my old 02' gt when i switched to 4.10s i was told to get a speedcal or a programmer, i went with a programmer so never dealt with a speedcal, how does it work and where does it hook up at??

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
A speed cal is wired to a power source [usually the cigarette lighter] and to the VSS harness. The speedcal fits under the shifter boot/console or that's where I put mine. EDIT: A programmer will only work on 99+ speedos.

Last edited:

4.6stanger

Established Member
Now i got someone telling me that when i order my speedcal for it to be the extended range version....advice??

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I'm not sure. I do know the extended range unit is needed for a T56. Your best bet is to check with Dallas Mustang and see what they recommend for your car.

Users who are viewing this thread