Speeding Ticket Questions

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I have never had a speeding ticket. Ever.

So one day I was out for Sunday drive with my girlfriend. Turn left onto the on ramp of a bridge, I get up to speed, and get in the far left lane. Then proceed up over the hump in the bridge where I am pulled over by a state trooper.

Mind you from the end of the on ramp to the hump is maybe 500 feet.

He walks up very arrogantly and tapping on my vehicles quarter panel. Which was very irritating seeing as I had just bought the car weeks prior.

He asks " You know why I pulled you over?" I politely replied "no sir", which was odd seeing as this guy seemed VERY young.

He then informed me I was doing 79 in a 55. Impossible, I had just got up to speed and cars in the left three lanes were actually going faster than me, and were directly to the right of me passing me. He was sitting at the bottom of the hump maybe 100 feet from where it flattens out, in the far right emergency lane.

I told him there was no way, I had just come on to the bridge via the on ramp, and he says come on' man this is a 5.0 I know what its capable of. Really? Because I drive like a turtle and my girl is on my ass all the time about it.

I accepted the ticket, and set a court date. The court date is actually 4 months after I set it which I found odd.

Either way. What should I expect? I personally think he must have hit another car and thought it was me because its a "5oh". Am I SOL? I just set a court date in hopes I can explain my side and hope for the best.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
At your court date, the judge should give you an opportunity to question the officer about his observations and how he obtained the speed of your vehicle versus the speed of the other vehicles. You will also be given a chance to tell the judge your side of the story.

oldmodman

Established Member
And install a dash cam that can see your instrument cluster.

It's always nice to have a digital record of your driving activity right up to the time the officer reaches your window.

Especially if it shows a time code and the fact that you never exceeded the speed limit.

nux1

Established Member
And install a dash cam that can see your instrument cluster.

It's always nice to have a digital record of your driving activity right up to the time the officer reaches your window.

Especially if it shows a time code and the fact that you never exceeded the speed limit.

There are apps that record your data and overlay the phones GPS (or OBDII if you have an adapter) speed over the video. They delete over the video segments unless you tap the screen then it saves them. They also have cheapo dash cams that do the same. Last time I got pulled over he quoted me for something way faster than I was actually doing but he also listed the speed limit as higher than it actually was so it evened out. I started recording my every drive. Then a year or so I didn't get pulled over and just got lazy. I'd recommend the dedicated dash cam as you can install then leave in the car vs having to fumble with docking your phone on the mount, connecting it in, and opening the app. It does make you paranoid when you know they can just make shit up and it's treated as fact.

Users who are viewing this thread