Speeding ticket/points question

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So I got a speeding ticket from I think a SC State Trooper.. pretty sure actually.. dude was very cool, I got far better than I deserved. I recently got some suspension work done so getting on and off the interstate is usually a 'testing' moment. I got on the highway in a spirited fashion, then chilled, then commenced to speeding and got pulled over. He wrote me a 74/65 for two points. When I fessed up to my wife she said I should go to court and see if I can get the points reduced but as far as I'm concerned dude gave me a more than fair point reduction on the spot. However, is it possible to get a point reduction on a two point ticket? In no way am I complaining. I will pay the ticket but if I could get a point reduction I figure I owe it to my wallet to try. Advice? Should I just pay the ticket, take the points, and move on? Or, should I pay the ticket and see if I can get the points reduced by going to court?
A lot of me feels like I should just pay the ticket.
Dude was more than cool, I actually joked around with him for a minute after he came back to the car and I realized he had been sitting right next to me at the turn lane entrance to the highway. He was in an unmarked Charger, and when I looked over at him I saw his hair and it reminded me of my brother and I was all "that dude looks like a cop" and then proceeded to dumbass myself into a ticket. I told him that it was entrapment that he was in that Charger without his cap on his head. He said 'yeah, I saw how you got on the highway but then you slowed down so I was gonna let you slide.. until you drove away from everybody.':bash:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I ALWAYS go to court. I have usually had points or fine reduced as a result. I have gone in more than once and pleaded stupid apologized and was done. when the judge sees you take responsibility he is more likely to cut you a break.

on the other hand, you may consider he has already cut you a sizable break and just pay the fine lol

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
+1, go to court. If the cop was as cool as you say I'm sure he'd have no problem telling the DA that you were polite at the stop, and chances are good that you'll have the points dropped. This beats having your insurance go up for sure.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Thanks, I'll go and see if I can get more points shaved, but I already feel like I've cheated. I'd pay the fine that I should have gotten to avoid the points. I actually told him I was glad he lit me up when he did because I had just cleared the last car of that group and it didn't look like another car for a mile or so. What I didn't tell him was -I hadn't driven my car for over a week, and I was in the process of checking my mirrors and dropping gears before I went strong. Five seconds later and I might have been writing this Monday I guess? $87 vs. the wooden shampoo I was about to get myself into...I shoulda bought a damn lottery ticket on my way home.

SuperBlownGT

Forever CoBro!
Established Member
He gave you 9 over... on the interstate? Yea go to court op chances are it will get dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread