Speeding ticket in MD, Live in VA

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey guys - it's been a while. Haven't been posting here in a long time, but I was hoping maybe some of you may know the answer to this question or be able to help.

I just got a speeding ticket in maryland - 81 in a 55, but I live in VA. I swear I was doing between 72 and 74 by my speedo (wasn't in the cobra), so I knew I was speeding, but when he said I was doing above 80, my jaw dropped because I purposely never do above 80 when cruising around (due to the implications in VA), and also because right around 80 the ride starts to get more uncomfortable in that car. I guess there's nothing I can do about the reported speed, he said it was on radar and I don't know that there's much I can do to challenge it (and win). I suppose it's possible that it's correct, I just really don't think so. Anyway...

The ticket is for "Exceeding Maximum Speed: 81 mph in a posted 55 mph zone" and is listed as a "payable fine." I don't think it is a reckless driving ticket as it does not say reckless anywhere on the ticket. The officer said that I can either plead guilty and pay it, or go to court.

Anyway, I'm really curious what happens now regarding points transfer? Do any points transfer to VA? And if so, how exactly do they transfer (Virginia's scale? Maryland's scale? Some different out of state transfer scale?). Virginia's website says that a non-reckless speeding ticket over 20mph is a 6 point offense. From what I've been able to find, VA and MD share information and I think the points transfer using Virginia's scale. So I guess I'll be getting 6 points once MD reports it to VA? How would this really affect me, besides insurance increases?

It's a $160 fine, and I'm not so much worried about the money, or even the insurance hike (if that happens), but more so worried about points on my license and how that will affect me long and short term.

What are my best options? If I were to go to MD court for this (I'm not sure what I would even say), would it be of any benefit regarding points, etc, for VA?

BTW, I don't have any other tickets or offenses on my record.

Thanks for any help here guys.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
where in MD did you get it and was it a State Trooper? curious because my brother is a MD State Trooper and was working today

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
It was on one of the (numerous) longer straighter parts of MD 210. I'm honestly not sure if it was a state trooper or not. He did say what department he was in very quickly (he seemed very rushed) but I didn't catch it. He was driving an unmarked white crown vic.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Andrew, you could try posting this in the Donut Shop, it's helped me a couple times.
I would at least go to court and plead that you know you were speeding, but you thought it was around 72. Be honest, but be firm. The judge might take that into consideration. And it might buy you back a couple points.

Good luck.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Reckless would be 30 over. Another 5 MPH and you would have been screwed. I have never had any points transfer no matter what the state in my life. I have had a ticket in about every state from NH to FL. Dont recall GA though. I heard VA make sure they transfer them but the only ticket I got in VA I intended to fight and by odd circumstances the officer died and the ticket was dismissed.

I'd be curious who has had points transfer from another state. Odds are with you on the transfer IMO.

Venimus03

Established Member
Reckless would be 30 over
Reckless is 20 over in VA and anything over 80..... You can go to a shop and get your speedo calibrated, it's possible that it could be off. If it is and you get the shop to sign off on the slip then you can bring that to court and show it to the judge... I would go to court regardless though. Just tell the judge your story and see what happens. I had to go to court last month for a ticket and the judge dropped A LOT of peoples tickets down just for going to court pretty much...

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'm kinda leaning toward going to court, but I'm still a little unclear on whether not it would help me in VA. Unless the judge lowers the speed on the ticket, or throws it out, I don't think it would help the VA situation. I mean, he can reduce points in MD or reduce the fine amount or whatever, but if the speed still says 81 in a 55, I would still get the same points in VA I think.

Also, I'm not really sure what I would say to him. I can try to tell him I thought I was going slower, but I can imagine he hears that all the time. I suppose it can't hurt, but I would hate to take time off work and pay court fees for no gain.

Is it still a good idea to go into court basically just to be there, without a great excuse or anything, and just say "yeah, I was speeding" ?

Does anyone know much about the details on point transfer? From what I can gather, VA will definitely be notified by MD about the ticket, but I guess it's up to VA whether or not they will assess points. I've heard that it's uncommon for them to assess points for out of state violations, but I'm not sure on this at all. So essentially it will definitely be on my record, but may not be any points.

And one more thing - if this ticket is not a reckless ticket in MD, but would constitute reckless in VA, would it go on my VA driving record as a reckless? Or would it go on as a normal speeding ticket for 20 mph+ over?

Venimus03

Established Member
If you really think you were only doing 72, go get your speedo calibrated and get it signed off by a shop and bring it to the judge. It would at least get dropped down a few.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'm kinda leaning toward going to court, but I'm still a little unclear on whether not it would help me in VA. Unless the judge lowers the speed on the ticket, or throws it out, I don't think it would help the VA situation. I mean, he can reduce points in MD or reduce the fine amount or whatever, but if the speed still says 81 in a 55, I would still get the same points in VA I think.

Also, I'm not really sure what I would say to him. I can try to tell him I thought I was going slower, but I can imagine he hears that all the time. I suppose it can't hurt, but I would hate to take time off work and pay court fees for no gain.

Is it still a good idea to go into court basically just to be there, without a great excuse or anything, and just say "yeah, I was speeding" ?

Does anyone know much about the details on point transfer? From what I can gather, VA will definitely be notified by MD about the ticket, but I guess it's up to VA whether or not they will assess points. I've heard that it's uncommon for them to assess points for out of state violations, but I'm not sure on this at all. So essentially it will definitely be on my record, but may not be any points.

And one more thing - if this ticket is not a reckless ticket in MD, but would constitute reckless in VA, would it go on my VA driving record as a reckless? Or would it go on as a normal speeding ticket for 20 mph+ over?

It is not a reckless ticket in MD. You have to be going 30 over in MD for it to be reckless. Brings up the question though if VA would recognize it as a reckless since VA considers 20 over reckless.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
White unmarked car? You got hit by county. If it was further south on 210 (where there are no lights) then it was probably charles co. Go to court. If you haven't had a ticket in a while, just plead guilty, say "Yes, I was speeding, it was a bad decision and I'm sorry" and you'll likely get PBJ. This will likely result in them upping the fine, you having to work 8 hours of community service (you get to choose when and where from a list) and NO points (usually). No matter what though, it's completely worth your time to take it to court.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If you really think you were only doing 72, go get your speedo calibrated and get it signed off by a shop and bring it to the judge. It would at least get dropped down a few.

This isn't necessarily a bad idea. If you find out your spedo is wrong, it might help you. If you discover it's correct, then it probably won't make much difference because there is no way to prove you looked at it at the same time the officer clocked you with radar. I'd get it checked, see if it's wrong...if it is, the Judge will probably cut you some slack. Like I said before though, no matter what else you do, take this to court. Unless you make a total ass out of yourself, it can only stay the same or get better. If you don't go, you don't even have a chance for it to get better.

Users who are viewing this thread