Speeding patrol cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachsFastr

Established Member
Since I see it so often I must ask. Do people call in often about speeding patrol cars who are not on a call? I see it all the time out here in the boonies. My neighbor, who is one, hauls ass in his car. He lives out of county from the one he works and flies out here.
Georgia State Patrol is by far the worst. They will pass you running in excess of 100MPH with no lights or siren wailing.

So what gives? :??:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Since I see it so often I must ask. Do people call in often about speeding patrol cars who are not on a call? I see it all the time out here in the boonies. My neighbor, who is one, hauls ass in his car. He lives out of county from the one he works and flies out here.
Georgia State Patrol is by far the worst. They will pass you running in excess of 100MPH with no lights or siren wailing.

So what gives? :??:

Are you under the impression because there are no lights or sirens (code three) that they aren't responding to a call?

You might want to do a search of this forum as this topic has been covered at least a dozen times.

MachsFastr

Established Member
Are you under the impression because there are no lights or sirens (code three) that they aren't responding to a call?

You might want to do a search of this forum as this topic has been covered at least a dozen times.

No, I'm under the impression my neighbor wants to get home and catch Jody going out the back door!

Mark185

Established Member

I have a friend who is an LEO and he says that anytime he is traveling faster than the speed limit, or hurrying to a call lights and sirens are required...

FordSVTFan

Established Member
No, I'm under the impression my neighbor wants to get home and catch Jody going out the back door!

Well that might be a very valid point as it applies to that one L.E.O. and no one here can speak to that. :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I have a friend who is an LEO and he says that anytime he is traveling faster than the speed limit, or hurrying to a call lights and sirens are required...

That might be his departments policy. But in all my years as a Deputy Sheriff and Fed L.E.O., I have never heard that code three is required for every call. There are calls where code three is quite discouraged.

MachsFastr

Established Member
There are calls where code three is quite discouraged.

I do agree with this. I get passed on the interstate by GSP often and they are moving out. I would think that on the interstate you'd want to warn people you are coming up. I'm not bashing a bit and should ask this locally, but it seems to be dangerous.

MachsFastr

Established Member
Let me add that I know todays cars are covered in sound deadner and its often hard to hear a siren, but a flashing light would grab your attention.

02 Min Grey GT

Established Member
Let me add that I know todays cars are covered in sound deadner and its often hard to hear a siren, but a flashing light would grab your attention.

I promise you that there are a lot of drivers out there that are totally oblivious to what is going on behind them and would not notice flashing lights until the patrol car is in front of them!

TVSCobra

Established Member
I see it all the time around here. I actually prefer they do that because if an Officer is doing under or very close to the speed limit no one will pass (multiple lane highways). 100 mph is excessive if they aren't on a call, but most of us on here don't follow the rules ethier.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
As indicated above, there may be a valid reason for the officer to be speeding without lights/sirens. However, there are times when they shouldn't be speeding.

My officers hate it, but I had all our patrol vehicle equipped with small tattletale chips. They will record when certain conditions are met (i.e. sudden acceleration/deceleration, speeding above a certain limit, etc.). To be fair to my officers though, I don't check unless I have some suspicion (complaint received, etc.).

Vicarious liability can be a bitch and something I want to mitigate as much as possible.

10-43 This 03

Established Member
There are times when no siren/lights are required/needed but that officer still may be responding to a some what serious call. There are of course bad apples out there that do 100 mph to get home just so they catch their favorite show or want to get in bed. Law Enforcement just like pro sports all have that extra eye on them. All LEO's don't speed just to get home just like all pro athletes don't blow all their money on strippers,houses and cars. I do admit though, 100 mph is a little excessive for no lights and sirens. I myself try to keep it with in 10 mph when on the interstates because here in North Carolina alot of people do call in on us. I will tell you that more times than not most officers are conducting business even though they may not have lights or sirens on.

2k3gt

Established Member

Are you under the impression that a cop never exceeds the speed unless he is responding to a call?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Are you under the impression that a cop never exceeds the speed unless he is responding to a call?
reading comprehension > you. He is saying that sometimes lights and sirens are not used on a call. so the assumption that all cops speeding without lights and sirens are NOT on official business is just dumb.

mustangsf4life

Black Venom
Established Member
There is also the problem I run into when I do roll code to something. People tend to nut up when they have lights and sirens coming up behind them and are more likely to stop or pull in front of you. So for the most part we are discouraged by our w/c to roll code unless we have to. They would rather us just go around them and have them realize it was a patrol car after the fact so we can reduce the risk of an accident. Also alot of times we do not roll code to calls because it is a crime in progress where we need to come in quiet and blacked out at night in stealth mode so we can catch the subject committing the crime. (Ya we drive without our lights on too).

Another thing is we are expected to get to calls quickly only as long as its safe and prudent. We drive fast because it is neccessary to protect and safegaurd the lives of the citizens we our there to serve. If LEO's are driving fast and its not to get to a call or some kind of official business it will catch up to them eventually. Also the Ca. Vehicle Code exempts us from certain laws like wearing our seat belts, other traffic laws, etc. Thats why our plates say EXEMPT on them.

I think some people need to go on a ride along to see why we do the the things we do.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I do agree with this. I get passed on the interstate by GSP often and they are moving out. I would think that on the interstate you'd want to warn people you are coming up. I'm not bashing a bit and should ask this locally, but it seems to be dangerous.

Again depending on the call and how it is dispatched. In the best situation possible you would want to want all of the law abiding citizens and at the same time not give notice to the criminals.

People are often oblivious to lights and sirens. Lights typically have a much better effect at night, but during the day no so much.

txyaloo

Established Member
Also the Ca. Vehicle Code exempts us from certain laws like wearing our seat belts, other traffic laws, etc. Thats why our plates say EXEMPT on them.

:lol: That's not even close to why your plates say exempt on them. They say exempt because they're exempt from certain taxes, not certain laws.

Also, V.C. Section 27315 does not exempt LEOs from wearing seat bets. In fact, it specifically says:

(2) The operator of a limousine for hire or the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 165, shall not operate the limousine for hire or authorized emergency vehicle unless the operator and any passengers six years of age or over or weighing 60 pounds or more in the front seat are properly restrained by a safety belt.

You may want to brush up on your VC.

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
At 100 mph, lights and siren are useless anyway. Must be moving at that speed for a very good reason.

2k3gt

Established Member
reading comprehension > you. He is saying that sometimes lights and sirens are not used on a call. so the assumption that all cops speeding without lights and sirens are NOT on official business is just dumb.

I'm aware that some cops who are speeding without lights and sirens are still on official business...pretty sure the OP was referring to the others who are speeding and not on official business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread