"Speeding" in neighborhood?

3.0Taurass

Established Member
I haven't been ticketed or anything, this is more out of curiosity.

I typically go 25-30 in my neighborhood. There's no posted speed limit. Twice back when I had my mustang (with loud exhaust) people yelled "SLOW DOWN!!!!!!" to me. Assuming these people had called the police, what recourse would I have had? Minnesota statute 169.14 says in part:

****Subd. 2. Speed limits. (a) Where no special hazard exists the following speeds shall be lawful, but any speeds in excess of such limits shall be prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable or prudent and that it is unlawful; except that the speed limit within any municipality shall be a maximum limit and any speed in excess thereof shall be unlawful:

(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district or on a town road in a rural residential district;

So if its a sunny dry day and there's nobody in the street, is there any problem with me going 30? If someone called the police and said I was going too fast and gave them my plate number could anything happen?

Thanks

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
If your speed limit is 30 in a residential area you are fine. You will get those folks yelling at your exhaust from time to time. Try to keep it reasonable, if your doing 30 and your exhaust is screaming then you don't have an exhaust at all. I would worry more about an exhaust/noise related citation than speeding in your case.

If some calls and complains about your car speeding through the neighborhood the most that would happen is increased patrols in your area to check for violations. We can't write a speeding ticket based solely on a complaint from uncle Fred three houses down.

If you anticipate a problem you may want to consider a quieter exhaust or be really easy on it through there.

ChargedFocus

Established Member
I have had the same thing happen in my neighborhood both with my old grand prix and with the svt focus. The speed limit is 25 in my neighborhood (posted) but because of the exhaust I have gotten yelled at on multiple occasions. You can't get into any trouble if the cops don't see it themselves but the same thing that happened to me could happen to you. I guess I pissed off the someone in the home owners association because they hired 2 police officers to patrol every night and sporadically throughout the day.

It's a pain in the butt, but you have to deal with it if you plan to live there for any length of time.

bodge323

Established Member
Gocart, do what you want, but Id rather not piss off my neighbors. Make them mad and then they really start looking for things, not worth it imo.

Last edited:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
That happened to me back in the day when I was driving my '69 Mustang to school. I would put it in first (auto car) and drive to the end of the neighborhood like that trying to get the damn thing to warm up (351W w/big cam). One day I saw one of my neighbors stare at me then nearly run inside. I didn't think anything of it until I got pulled over before I even made to school five minutes away. He told me to watch out because my car was loud, then we talked Mustangs for about 15 minutes. haha

BM1

Established Member
Eh, you'll have that with certain neighbors. Usually best to slow down a bit and ignore them. It might cost you 5 extra seconds through that stretch of road but worth not having to deal with Mr. Mouth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread