Speedcal Options (Engine dies, Speedo not working)

helty

I'd hit it
Established Member
Hey all, what are the current speedcal options for our cars with different gear ratios than stock?

I have an 01 Bullitt with a MPH Mongoose kit and 3.73's. It's been sitting forever and I recently got it back on the road. First gremlin reared it's head when I was coasting to a stop with the clutch pushed in and the car lost all power. Scary AF. When I fired it back up the speedometer doesn't work anymore.

I did my Googling and suspect it's something to do with the Dallas Mustang Speedcal either going bad or maybe a bad ground somewhere, which in turn is preventing a signal being sent to the IAC to open at idle, so the car shuts off. Cruise control doesn't work either.

It appears DM went out of business and Ford Racing apparently used to sell a speedcal but I can't find it anywhere. I've been out of the game for about 15 years and I'm hoping to be pointed in the right direction so I can drive it safely.

I'm going to get under the car soon to check the VSS and inspect the speedcal wiring, but I'd like to get a beat on finding a new speedcal now in case that ends up being the culprit.

Pic of my car back when it was show worthy. Happy 4th!

Bullitt_remastered.jpg

helty

I'd hit it
Established Member
Just pulled the shifter boot and the speedcal cable shroud wasn't even run through the boot per the instructions, but the boot was obviously cut for that purpose. Instead the wires were under the boot/plate and while I don't see any cuts, they were definitely pinched pretty bad but it's been that was the past 40k miles so IDK.

I re-routed the shroud so those wires aren't pinched anymore and wala, the speedo works and no stalling issues. Cruise control works again too. I still like the idea of getting it fixed via tune, in my research of this issue it seems these speedcals have a habit of going bad (things break), and if DM is out of business I have no customer support. I'll reach out to Revolution after the holiday.

Appreciate you guys input, I forgot more about these cars than I care to remember. Rattled off the Motorcraft part # for the fuel filter to the Advanced Auto clerk last week but most of this stuff is long gone from memory.

Thanks!

20230702_173953.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread