Speed Ticket advice?

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
The situation with this speeding ticket is simple, should I fight this or not?
I was on the interstate with cruise control set to 75 MPH in a 70. The office pulled me over and told me he clocked me at 87 in a 70. There were several other cars around me at the time of this and he did not show me the speed on the gun. On the ticket he did not mark how he clocked me at this speed either, whether it was with radar or any other method when there are boxes that are supposed to be marked. Is this ticket worth fighting?

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
The court COULD/SHOULD allow the officer to amend the ticket because he left out the speed measuring device, if the method he used is one that should have been checked. Most of us car owners have aftermarket wheels and tires, so if you have not had your speedometer PROPERLY calibrated, then do so, and a place that will certify the calibration, and take that to court with you. Also, there are some states that do not require an officer to show you the reading on "the gun".

IF you have a clean record, try taking a defensive driving class, get the speedometer calibrated, and go before the court humbly and ask for the court's mercy.

btmach1

Whippled Sonic Blue
Established Member
The court COULD/SHOULD allow the officer to amend the ticket because he left out the speed measuring device, if the method he used is one that should have been checked. Most of us car owners have aftermarket wheels and tires, so if you have not had your speedometer PROPERLY calibrated, then do so, and a place that will certify the calibration, and take that to court with you. Also, there are some states that do not require an officer to show you the reading on "the gun".

IF you have a clean record, try taking a defensive driving class, get the speedometer calibrated, and go before the court humbly and ask for the court's mercy.

This was in a chevy sonic with stock wheels and all. Unfortunately not in the Cobra lol. Speedometer should be perfect in this car.

silver03svt

Established Member
This was in a chevy sonic with stock wheels and all. Unfortunately not in the Cobra lol. Speedometer should be perfect in this car.

Still wouldn't bank on it. My mother bought a brand new 2007 Camry, and the factory speedometer was off by 18MPH.

Still not going to hurt to get a calibration other than a couple $ from your pocket.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you dont mind spending the cash, lawyer up for every single ticket.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
It's ridiculous you'll end up spending money to prove you are innocent... I have a dash cam for reasons like this. Gps speed is displayed.

silver03svt

Established Member
It's ridiculous you'll end up spending money to prove you are ALLEGEDLY innocent... I have a dash cam for reasons like this. Gps speed is displayed.

Also, many courts have taken judicial notice that GPS speeds are inadmissible since they cannot be calibrated.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
It's ridiculous you'll end up spending money to prove you are innocent... I have a dash cam for reasons like this. Gps speed is displayed.

According to his argument, the speed indicated by the officer may be incorrect; however, the OP admitted he was speeding. He isn't innocent.

The situation with this speeding ticket is simple, should I fight this or not?
I was on the interstate with cruise control set to 75 MPH in a 70. The office pulled me over and told me he clocked me at 87 in a 70. There were several other cars around me at the time of this and he did not show me the speed on the gun. On the ticket he did not mark how he clocked me at this speed either, whether it was with radar or any other method when there are boxes that are supposed to be marked. Is this ticket worth fighting?

Illinois is very similar to NJ in how they handle traffic infractions.

Why wouldn't you 'fight' or initially plead not guilty in your state, which I'm sure allows you the same opportunity like we have in our state, to speak to the prosecutor?

You'd have to be foolish to just plead guilty to that offense.

For example, in our state, any 4pt speeding ticket, can be plead down to an 'Unsafe Driving' statute which reduces that to zero license points and carries a $400 fine.

Sadly, our state is run bu criminal auto-insurance-corps who consider that plead down as if you had an active 2pts on your license.

But as far as Motor Vehicles is concerned, you have zero pts on your license.

Illinois has to have something similar to us.

ALWAYS FIGHT A TICKET, whether you were guilty or not. Prosecutors are always willing to cut a deal, as long as you have a 'decent' driving record.

heck I've appeared in multiple jurisdictions before, where the prosecutors were so lazy, that they didn't have a 'motor vehicle abstract' printed out and just took my word for it that I had a good driving record because I said so, and allowed me to plead down to a much lower offense.

The important point to gather from this is, that in many jurisdictions the prosecutors are not very prepared with your driver history abstract and they are ALWAYS willing to deal. You really don't have to run for an attorney, unless you have some real bad driving convictions.

That's a whole other ball game.

silver03svt

Established Member
Jesus, that's quite a bit off.

Yup. Mind you that was a highway speeds. She was going 65 and the speedometer showed 47. I had to go with her, in uniform, to the dealer to tell them how far it was off because they didn't believe her. They paid to have the speedometer professionally checked and certified. Once proven, the dash cluster had to go BACK to Japan for calibration. Took about a month round trip.

MastaAce03

Established Member
If you can afford it, definitely lawyer up. Idk how your driving record looks like but if it's decent, you have a great chance on getting it reduced to a non traffic ticket or dropped. All depends on the judge at the time your case is hear but your lawyer will know what judges are more lenient and shoot for that time slot.

greenscobie86

Established Member
What 01cobravortech said. Try to fight it especially if you feel you were wrongfully accused.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
no way Im letting a 17mph over ticket go on my record even if I was going that fast. Insurance will try to have you looking like goatse. Lawyer time. We have some traffic only attorneys around here called Ticket Clinic that typically do a good job for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread