Speed limited Lightning, WTF

cashtown

Lawyers, Guns and Money
Established Member
I hae an '04 L that I bought with 20K on the clock. It has swapped upper and lower pulleys, exhaust and is otherwise stock - has been dynotuned because it was detonating on the canned Diablo tune.

I haven't ever really topped it out but had an open stretch of (private) road last night and ran it up to 120 where it hit a speed limiter. I've had other trucks with speed limiters and this felt exactly like them - it would hit 120 and it would cut ignition - it just kept bouncing off 120 like it was a wall.

This can't be right. What's up?

LSUstang05

Established Member
Or the tuner/previous owner had it set at 120 so that he never went into OverDrive and blew his engine. Kind of a safety net in case he ever thought he might end up trying to do an OD pull something.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Did you have O/D off?...bouncing of the limiter perhaps?

also...Not to be a dick, but are you sure you bought a lightning and not a rebuilt regular f150?...run the vin to check.

cashtown

Lawyers, Guns and Money
Established Member
Did you have O/D off?...bouncing of the limiter perhaps?

also...Not to be a dick, but are you sure you bought a lightning and not a rebuilt regular f150?...run the vin to check.

hah, lol, yes it's a Lightning. ****ing OD was off. I'm retarded.

cashtown

Lawyers, Guns and Money
Established Member
yeah, I feel dumb as a post. I had towed the boat out to Anahuac and never turned the OD back on on the way home. I had honestly never had it up to 120 before then so I was stumped.

glasslaws

Established Member
easy-button1.jpg

Wish everything worked like that

ecoastkid

Established Member
yeah, I feel dumb as a post. I had towed the boat out to Anahuac and never turned the OD back on on the way home. I had honestly never had it up to 120 before then so I was stumped.

lol....Shit like that happens to all of us..:-D...Glad it wasnt my other thought!

LSUstang05

Established Member
Well, you kept yourself from blowing your motor. NEVER run wide open into overdrive. 9/10 you WILL blow your motor.

b4three

b4three
Established Member
I wish I knew about blowing motors due to overdrive wide open runs back in 2002,,,,I could have save myself lots of
.....$$$$$$$$$$

LSUstang05

Established Member
Ridiculous amounts of stress are put on the internals in OD due to gearing. OD has a gearing of less than 1. 1-3 gears all have gearing greater than 1. Also, when you shift into OD at wot you aren't in the power band anymore yet you are at full boost and usually that = kaboom

:dw: yea i understand its got a lean-in problem.. but 9 times out of 10.. lmao.. little over-exagerated..
Really? Go do a search here. Almost everybody here that has a blown motor has done it either in the cold or while going WOT in OverDrive. It is the EASIEST way to blow your motor if you're looking to do so. Don't believe me, fine. But when you blow your motor in OverDrive I'll be the last one laughing saying "I told you so."

Last edited:

LSUstang05

Established Member
So what about the guys that trap over 120 in the quarter do they blow there motors every time?

*Sigh, you're dense. Shifting into overdrive while at WOT/racing is a horrible horrible idea and you will most likely blow your motor. Those that are trapping over 120 are NOT shifting into OD to get there. Shifting into OD and then staying in the gas is an absolutely ****ing horrible idea. A lot more goes into top speed in 3rd gear. Tire size and gearing are probably the biggest factors, though.

Users who are viewing this thread