Speed Density convert to MAF

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
So I don't completely understand this conversion but a friend had me ask the guy I'm considering buying that 88 5.0 from if it was converted yet and he said it isn't. Now my friend says the mustang isn't worth buying because you can't mod a speed density fox that well and converting it will be expensive. Is that true?

GroundUp86Gt

Established Member
i have a 86 gt and its still speed density.. the differences that i was told and learned is that MAF is a "tune" in which the temp, the altitude and humidty changes the car will adapt in that enviroment.. with speed density the car will run the same no matter where it is... above sea level and your car is tuned in a sea level area and you run it way above sea level the run is gonna run like shit. the speed density tuned cars wont change no matter where.. maf cars are easier to tune but guys that run the outlaw class and shit like that still have speed density..

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
Brings back memorys of my first 87 GT on speed density. I had the baby crower cam with the almost stock duration and .498 lift with 1.7 cobra rockers on GT40 heads, with a holly systemax I lower (for stock upper intakes) and a ported upper, 24lb injectors and using ignition timing and fuel pressure to get everything working great. I have seen twin turbo speed density setups. Straight up Old Skool, before we had all this aftermarket support.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Well would it be safe to run a cold air intake with Speed Density? i mean what all is safe to mod with it? until i can find all the stuff i need to convert to mass air

88 347 stroker

Established Member
There are a bunch of places u can get the parts to convert it. It's not very expensive if you shop around. Don't let the speed density stop you from buying a solid car! You can mod it a fair bit n have no problems but if you go big and throw a IHC, supercharger n exhaust then your going to need to convert it to mass air. Search around on the Internet n you can find out how far you can mod the speed density. Lastly the 88 is the last year for no air bags so you can put a nice steering wheel on it.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
well one reason why i was so confused was because i sent a guy at lethal performance an email asking if he had a conversion kit, but he didnt say anything after awhile so i sent the sales email the same question and they were like Oh yeah heres a harness you will need for the conversion. It was $700+. Then the first guy emailed me back and said no one carries the kit anymore and id have to get it all off a wrecked fox. so i was like wtf lol

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Oops it was CJponyparts. my mistake. Because i read a post from like 2008 when i looked for the kits saying CJponyparts had the kit so i emailed them to see if it was still being sold.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Well... i just found a Granatelli complete kit on Jegs but......... its $907.99. Guess im going to start searching junkyards lol

88 347 stroker

Established Member
When I converted mine I got the harness from jegs. The computer from amp performance (they use to advertise in the mustang magazines) and the mass air sensor from summit racing. I also did a auto to 5 speed conversion so the computer was a dual purpose thing.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. So now that I've figured out everything I need for the conversion, what do I have to do with the wires once I get the new stuff in? The directions I've read on some websites were kind of confusing about it all

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Finally got some more pictures of it. Going to drive it in about an hour
017.gif

016.jpg

014.gif

003.gif

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Ughhh the guy sent me an email this morning that said "The more I think about it, I just don't have the time, money, or desire to mess with that car this week.* I am sorry, but I think I am gonna have to pass on getting rid of it.* Best of luck in finding something else." I'm so let down now. I even just got an email back from that Prestige Mustang salvage place and they said they have everything I need to convert and they'll sell it to me for $44.00 free shipping. This sucks

Musttanguy

Established Member
if you end up with the car I have MAF conversion packages available consisting of 89 computer harness, computer, MAF meter w/bracket, both intake hoses.
everything cleaned, harness rewrapped in tape, zero broken connectors.
This is a 98% plug and play conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread