Spec TOB

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I will soon get the Spec Clutch but I've heard that I should also get the Ford OEM throwout bearing because the one that comes with the Spec clutch is a piece of crap.

Please post your experiences with the Spec TOB.

My stock TOB has lasted 3.5 years and now it's beginning to sound (chirp).

wheelhopper

Established Member
My Spec TO bearing started chirping within the first few weeks. That was about 4K miles ago. I don't feel like swapping it out just yet.

I wish I had known about the problem w/ them from the start.

keith89

Established Member
hmm i'm wondering if Difeo put an OEM tob in my spec 2+ swap. I've had my spec 2+ since July(about 700 miles ago) and I've had no chirping yet...knock on wood

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
My Spec TO bearing started chirping within the first few weeks. That was about 4K miles ago. I don't feel like swapping it out just yet.

I wish I had known about the problem w/ them from the start.

A friend of mine installed the Spec TO bearing and in less than 2 months the TOB began chirping.

I hate that chirping! It's annoying! But unfortunately all Mustang get it sooner or later.

Is there any TOB better than the OEM?

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
hmm i'm wondering if Difeo put an OEM tob in my spec 2+ swap. I've had my spec 2+ since July(about 700 miles ago) and I've had no chirping yet...knock on wood

That's the one I want. The Spec 2+. What is your feedback about it? Does it chatter? What about the pedal effort?

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
mine started chirping a few weeks after install. i adjusted the firewall ajuster to a looser(clutch grabs higther) position and the chirping stoped.

edit: when i say chirping, it was more of a squeal/chirp when letting the clutch out. nothing in neutral.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
I like it. I'm only running a 2.8 upper, tune, CAI, stock exhaust. I'm pushing 14psi and it holds fine. I don't really remember how the stock pedal feels. I have a steeda QR quadrant which makes it stiffer, I don't remember thinking the pedal effort was any different when I swapped everything in. The quick release quadrant is great though because the clutch throw required is much shorter than stock.
As far as chatter, it will chatter if you don't give it enough gas to start rolling. It's worse when its just breaking in. I'm getting a stage V ported eaton wiht a 2 lb lower and exhaust this spring, so i hope i don't break my stock 10 spline input or my stock axles.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
SPEC TOBs suck ass. Get the FRPP TOB, you won't be sorry. I've gone through a bunch of TOBs on my car and the FRPP one is the best IMO. I've put SPEC clutches in my car twice and I love them, but their TOBs are the weakest link. I've even put in a Centerforce HD TOB and the bitch came apart on me in 3 solid pieces. My experience says go with the FRPP, but that's just me. Good luck....

ViciousJay

Established Member
mine started chirping a few weeks after install. i adjusted the firewall ajuster to a looser(clutch grabs higther) position and the chirping stoped.

edit: when i say chirping, it was more of a squeal/chirp when letting the clutch out. nothing in neutral.

i have the same problem the only thing is mine does it on start up only in the cold otherwise its as quite as a kitten

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
i have the same problem the only thing is mine does it on start up only in the cold otherwise its as quite as a kitten

That's because the grease is starting to break down inside your TOB. When the car warms up, the grease does too, in turn lubricating all of those bearings. Might want to think about getting it replaced before it goes out on you...

ViciousJay

Established Member
That's because the grease is starting to break down inside your TOB. When the car warms up, the grease does too, in turn lubricating all of those bearings. Might want to think about getting it replaced before it goes out on you...

nah il get a new clutch and and everything in a few months, to be honest i give up with this car... ill replace it when i want to from now on... ive pissed enough away into it

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
Well now that I have read this...I'll be waiting for my Spec TOB to chirp. FWIW I have had a stock,centerforce and now the Spec TOB. The spec one is the best of them all. Just my personal experiance.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well, I believe the OEM and Centerforce are the same part. And there's a chance that the Spec is in that family as well. Ain't much to em......A few years back everyone was compalining about the stocker......I'd get a clutch free play kit and keep it off the pressure plate fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread