SPEC Stage II vs. Stage III

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
I've noticed alot of you guys are running a SPEC stage III.

I've had a Stage III and now a Stage II in my ProCharged 97 Cobra. If anyone is a potential SPEC clutch buyer, heres what I have to say:

DON'T LET YOUR EGO GUIDE YOU LIKE I DID I had a Stage III with their aluminum F/W. I thought I was going to be close in HP to justify a Stage III. Figured what the hell, might as well step up to a more agressive clutch for added holding power. Well, as the Stage III owners know, there ain't no slipping the Stage III. Its either go or no. It really takes getting used to.

Now I have the Stage II. Damn, its soooo much more user friendly (streetable). Its enjoyable to drive my car again. Feel like stock. And it still is rated up to 550 RWHP.

Moral of this rant?- Go with the lesser of a clutch UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED IT. My car is so much fun to drive now.

I've had both and I love the Stage II so much more. Hope this helps any potential clutch buyers.

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
Some of us will NEED it......but i will not get it until i need it...can you say KB!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
uuummmmm interesting. What does a Spec II setup cost? What abour retaining the stock flywheel?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
We installed a Spec II the at the same time as the KB. It appears to be wearing very well. No hot spots on it like my stock clutch had when we pulled it.

EngCon

Established Member
I have been through 2 Stage III's, 1 Stage IV and now I have a Stage V. I do not know how well the Stage V will hold up but on my first pass at COTT last weekend the car felt great but then between 2-3 shift the tranny input shaft broke/twisted in half.
ROADWARRIORSVT - if you think a Stage III in on/off try a Stage V - Stage III is like stock compared to a Stage V

Jay

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by EngCon
between 2-3 shift the tranny input shaft broke/twisted in half.
Dang Jay! :eek:
What's the plan now? Upgraded tranny or auto?
btw...you are my hero. :beer:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
got a stage V clutch as well. We broke an input shaft the other night too. Did have some 1.47 60ft time on ET streets!

EngCon

Established Member
Tracy - I am going to see how the Stage V holds up. Hopefully today the car will be back together with a 26 spline input shaft from Liberty Performance and Spec revamped my clutch disc to accept the 26 spline input shaft. I will know Sunday if this setup will hold my power or know. The car felt great going down the track (even though it was a limited amount of track) it should go 10.2x's hopefully.

Jay

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Damn Jay,
How much rwhp you putting down? Can't imagine how sticky a V would be. Maybe on a track only car, but not my daily driver!!:p

EngCon

Established Member
ROODWARRIORSVT - My latest dyno numbers are 722rwhp and 707ft/lbs of torque but we just uped the nitrous a little bit so I would guess around 750hp. The goal with the car is to go in the 9's with the 6-speed, IRS, and stock suspension. Do not know if I will make it but I think that I will. Yeah a stage V is not for the streets - track only!

Jay

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
Originally posted by EngCon
ROODWARRIORSVT - My latest dyno numbers are 722rwhp and 707ft/lbs of torque but we just uped the nitrous a little bit so I would guess around 750hp. The goal with the car is to go in the 9's with the 6-speed, IRS, and stock suspension. Do not know if I will make it but I think that I will. Yeah a stage V is not for the streets - track only!

Jay

Holy !@#$ AWsome numbers!

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have a stage II, and unless spec warranties it, I won't buy another. This clutch took about 4K miles and 8 passes at the track to start slipping. I can't even get a run in because the burnout smokes the POS clutch. The stock held up better than this one (and yes, it was broken in properly).

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Jay,
750ish RWHP?!! You're starting to get a little serious i guess:thumbsup: Is that made with a KB and N2O?

Guru,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with SPEC. I do know that the SPEC Stage II and Stage III are identical except for the clutch disc design/material used. Maybe upgrade to their Stage III clutch disk??? Just a suggestion. It'll cost about $125.00 vs. a whole new clutch.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I have a stage II, and unless spec warranties it, I won't buy another. This clutch took about 4K miles and 8 passes at the track to start slipping. I can't even get a run in because the burnout smokes the POS clutch. The stock held up better than this one (and yes, it was broken in properly).
My Spec II has a little more than 4K on it and quite a few passes at the track.
It's wearing great and holds a ton better than the stock one did. Only break in miles were to the dyno and then the track.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by ROADWARRIORSVT
Jay,
750ish RWHP?!! You're starting to get a little serious i guess:thumbsup: Is that made with a KB and N2O?

Guru,
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with SPEC. I do know that the SPEC Stage II and Stage III are identical except for the clutch disc design/material used. Maybe upgrade to their Stage III clutch disk??? Just a suggestion. It'll cost about $125.00 vs. a whole new clutch.

I'm well below the 550 RWHP limit on the stage II (444 RWHP), and I wanted the stage II due to it's streetability (I drive 25,000 miles a year in this car). I'll go back to stock before I buy ANYTHING else from spec. I don't care what you are doing, you shouldn't be able to fry a clutch in 8 passes when you make less than it's rated power. Hopefully, they will warranty it, but I'm not banking on it.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
I read the ratings that Spec had listed and the Stage ii was rated at 475 and the Stage III was 600. I deceided to go with the Stage III and aluninum flywheel since I was tired of the stock clutch going out ever 6 months.

I do agree that the Stage III is wild. It was lighter on the pedal but when it grabbed, it grabbed. Chatter was major when it was cold and wasn't heated up. It did take getting use to driving with the new clutch since it was my daily driving car. Had to work the pedals at the stop lights right.

Things did improve after milage, still have the chatter occasional.

Today I Installed the UPR clutch quadrant with adjustable cable and firewall adjuster and it is now much better driving. The pedal has more pressure but the relase is smoother and easier to make the shifts. Take off at traffic lights has improved.

I would prefer to have overkill than have to bother with the clutch burning up again. I also learned to adjust my driving style and use the clutch less and the brakes more. My clutch went on me when I went into a high speed turn on the track at Texas World Speedway and destroyed it even more when I tried to drive the car 6 miles away from the track to the hotel. That ultimately killed the clutch

Users who are viewing this thread