Spec Stage 3+ w Low Effort Pressure Plate is in. How much slack to put in the cable

Avispa

Established Member
Just finished my Spec 3+ install and 26-spline input shaft conversion. It's great. Almost like driving a GT, only it's fast....lol.

Question: How much slack should I put in the clutch cable? I'd put in a FRPP aluminum quadrant a couple years ago; the factory self adjusting quadrant keeps the TOB in contact with the pressure plate, but how tight is too tight? When there is actual free play in the clutch pedal, it chatters like all get out. Can't stand that while driving.

Embarassing question to have to ask after being called the "clutch oracle."

Thanks for any responses.

mp23

Established Member
I have done a few clutches and have yet to be able to get the recommended clearance between the TOB and clutch fingers. Sometimes its just not possible. if you can get the clearance and have the clutch operate correctly do it but typically If I can reach my hand up in there and spin the tob im happy. It will give you clearance as it breaks in.

Avispa

Established Member
Guys, thanks for the responses. I can get the clearance. The clutch engages almost at the top of the pedal travel adjusted as it is right now (light contact pressure between TOB and pressure plate). Just wondering whether the clearance is even needed - a factory self adjusting quadrant will keep the TOB in contact with the pressure plate at all times.

Might surprise you to know that you get less and less clearance as the clutch disk wears out - the pressure plate fingers extend out further as the disk gets thinner.

JrSVT

Established Member
Having the TOB in constant contact with the Pressure Plate is not a good idea....it was designed by Ford that way but that doesn't mean its the best way. When the TOB is riding on the PP fingers all the time it's constantly spinning. Therefore heat is generated and the heat causes the grease in the TOB to break down and sling out over time. This causes premature TOB failure. The less time that the TOB is spinning the longer it will last. As stated by svtshadow, 1/8" between the PP and TOB is ideal.

Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread