spec stage 3 squeeking

SonicBeast

Established Member
so ive searched abit and found old threads with people having the same issue but never getting any answers. i bought the car and was told its a spec stage 3, drove it for a week or two and now im noticing that when i release the clutch starting off into first gear im hearing a pretty loud squeek. the rear tires will occasionally will bounce and chirp a little when starting off if i dont get it just right. (both of which happened alot with my brand new twin disc in my evo). what is the noise and is something damaged?

Travis

Established Member
so ive searched abit and found old threads with people having the same issue but never getting any answers. i bought the car and was told its a spec stage 3, drove it for a week or two and now im noticing that when i release the clutch starting off into first gear im hearing a pretty loud squeek. the rear tires will occasionally will bounce and chirp a little when starting off if i dont get it just right. (both of which happened alot with my brand new twin disc in my evo). what is the noise and is something damaged?

I actually noticed the same exact thing with mine, so bump for us!

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Mine squeeked when I bought the cobra but it was worn, so I put a spec 2 plus and it's been good so far...

VincodeY

Established Member
If its the puck style stage 3, your clutch is on its way out. Ive had one and it sucked. When I had to change it, that disk was completely gone. Its just an on off type of clutch not meant to be daily driven.

SonicBeast

Established Member
most of the work done was at steig and a few years back, ill have to double check the receipts tmrw but im not sure what style it is.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
I'd love to tell its gone but it's not. I have a Spec stage 3 and it will chirp whenever it wants to. Might make the noise once a week or nothing for a month. As far as it being the clutch on its way out, my clutch has less than 3k miles, I highly doubt it. I think it's just the material of the 6 puck, similar to noisy semi metallic brake pads for a car.

HighLife101

Cobra Carbon
i got a stage 3 plus in my cobra, the tech at spec says the squeek is normal and its cuz of the clutch material is metalic...wtf 500 bills and it squeeks, ima used a different clutch next time around! so u guys with new clutches do worry its not ur TOB!!!

Last edited:

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
mine squeaks too.. i have a spec stage 2+ and taking off from a stop in 1st, if you give it gas it sounds like fingers going across a chalkboard. you can feel the vibration in the shifter. mine is less than 3k too

nxta

Established Member
i have a stage 4 spec w/billet steel flywheel, sqeaks in 1st if I beat on it it'll go away for awhile. very weird

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
It's the nature of the beast...had the same issue with my Fidanza 4.3. Loved that clutch but couldn't stand the screech anymore so out it came after only 3k :bash: any metallic puck style clutch will do it. Especially bronze pucks...forget it!

Dragu1a

Established Member
i have a spec 3+ and lately i've noticed it chirping. it goes away if i put any pressure at all on the clutch pedal, but if i'm sitting at a light in neutral, it's got an annoying little chatter. no effect on driving, just noise.

somebody told me, 'sometimes they're just noisy clutches'. is that the consensus we've come up with here?

bad93svt

Established Member
i had a spec stage 3 in my old cobra, it never squeaked, however it chattered & was terrible to drive in traffic. when I pulled it out - had 3500 miles total - it was down to the rivets & had eaton into my billet steel flywheel.

These clutches seem to be good for about 3-5000 miles then it's time to replace them..

I am trying to decide what to go w/next.. maybe a pro-motion or dual disc mccleod.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Not what I wanted to hear... In the process of getting a new clutch and was about to buy the Spec 3. I DD my cobra and put at least 90 miles a day on her... FML!!!

Users who are viewing this thread