spec stage 3 clutch

urmaker45

Established Member
Im installing a spec stage 3 clutch in my 03 cobra this fri is this gonna be a good clutch guys ?....mods are just intake and straight pipes....eventually prolly won't go over 550whp.

Black Chip

Established Member
Im installing a spec stage 3 clutch in my 03 cobra this fri is this gonna be a good clutch guys ?....mods are just intake and straight pipes....eventually prolly won't go over 550whp.

I have a Spec Stage 3+.....Not too crazy about it. Not as "streetable" as they say. Great on the track though.....Hits HARD!
I get a little embarassed on the street leaving a light sometimes though.
I've been driving stick cars for 20yrs. and now I can't always be so smooth with this clutch. Bothers the s**t out of me!!
I will change it out eventually. Sorry, hope you have better luck.

The hydraulic stocker in my wife's '08 GT is soooooooooooo sweet!!!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I have a stage 3 in my car and I like it. It's going to chatter if you attempt to ease the clutch out without giving it a little bit of gas. You get used to it after awhile. I followed the break in recommendation and haven't had any issues with mine. I powershift the car at the track and have been there a good bit since the clutch went in two years ago. I'm now slightly over 500 wheel and the torque # is 500+ from 2400 up a ways. It is definitely taking some abuse to this point.
Make sure to resurface your flywheel or get a new one if that isn't possible.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
also had the stage 3. was a good clutch. most of the chatter goes away once its broken in but it still will a bit on slow take-offs. kinda sucks in stop and go traffic. good clutch over all, especially for the price.

urmaker45

Established Member
Cool guys thnks for the info mine will be in this sat gonna put her in....guess you have to sacrifice a lil to have performance I will let ya know how I like it.

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
I have a spec stage 3+ with the spec steel flywheel. I did a new throwout bearing, clutch fork, adjustable quadrant, new cable, firewall adjuster and pilot bearing at the time of the install. Had Ford dealership install. A little pricey but I have 0 chatter and it bites hard! Try getting the one with low pedal requirement option. Seriously does not feel any different from stock. The hardest part about the install is keeping your foot out of the floor for the break in period!

arc00ta

Established Member
Isn't it a little late to ask if its a good clutch when you already have it? I didn't feel like driving another 6-puck car so I got the 2+, the power rating is almost the same and I doubt I'll be over 700lb of torque any time soon. Hopefully its more streetable than the 3, I've driven a few cars with that clutch and was not impressed.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Spec stage 3 here. No issues and its very quiet. Mine doesnt chatter at all, but maybe thats because it has some miles on it (at least a good 20k now). Personally, I like the clutch feel and it doesnt feel any different than stock. Its definitely very grabby, which is good. Rowing thru the gears is great and I never miss a shift. Even sitting in traffic where I have to engage/disengage the clutch alot I dont mind it. I can do it pretty smoothly too.

All around I think its a great clutch and it holds my power level just fine.

I had a centerforce DFX in my t56 powered mach............lets just say.......never again. I had so many problems with it to the point that centerforce gave me a brand new SFI billet steel flywheel for free because of all the issues I had. Its in the car now. Great flywheel, but to hell with their clutches lol.

Users who are viewing this thread