Spec Stage 2+ won't release

Avispa

Established Member
Put in a Spec Stage 2+ with FRPP TOB and Ford Racing adjustable cable and aluminum quadrant. Worked ok for a couple of days then developed sudden huge free play in pedal (5 inches plus). Reset the adjustable cable to get the free play out of the pedal, but the clutch will not release.

Any ideas?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Make sure the cable hasn't slipped off of the quadrant. I've seen it happen when the quadrant was allowed to "float" instead of being shimmed.

Also, it's possible that you have a bad cable where the outer sheath split, probably at a sharp bend.

Avispa

Established Member
Thanks, Snake.

Already confirmed the inside cable end is in the proper quadrant slot and that the cable jacket is intact.

Pivot ball and fork will be changed this afternoon. After that? New clutch - the diaphragm fingers look distinctly flatter than when I put the clutch in the car and there is a LOT more free travel at the release fork.

2k3Mach

Established Member
I had issues with my clutch and turned out to be one of the pilot bearings between clutch disk/flywheel. I had used the SPEC pilot that came with the kit...

Last edited:

Avispa

Established Member
Problem Solved

C-cable4.jpg

C-cable1.jpg

May have to rethink how good FRPP clutch cables are! This one was fresh out of the box and failed within 50 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread