Spec clutch is crap!! Any alternatives or ideas.

n2fords2003

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
How much HP are you making?????

OK for slow people in the special section; I already posted them.. Look 7 posts up. I even made the text biger after you asked the first time..;-)

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The torque capacity of the stage 2 is 530 lb/ft (net not rwhp). Since you are making almost 600 at the flywheel you are exceeding it's holding capacity. You should be using a spec3. Don't blame the clutch becuase you bought the wrong one.

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by n2fords2003
what are the differences between the single and twin?

What stage if any or part number do you have?

Thanks!

The difference is the price and the power holding capacity. If i remember correctly my clutch was good to 700-800hp and the twin disk holds a 1000 plus but cost nearly double. I like my clutch because it has kevlar pucks on the flywheel side and an organic material on the pressure plate side making it streetable.

BAD03SVT

Established Member
what kind of power are you putting down?

i have 553/638 and run the stage III and when i broke my input shaft in half the clutch was wearing very nicely, and is still going strong. actually propelled me to a 11.07@128 this past weekend. are you sure you just didnt have to much power for the clutch at the track?

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Originally posted by n2fords2003
Why are others better? I could realy do without that extra expence..

OK don't get it. But if you have a chattering clutch and pulsating clutch pedal is either a bad TOB-retainer or a bad flywheel (poor resurfacing) and you will have clutches die left and right. Some clutches chatter from the design but I wouldn't expect the SPEC 2? If you are too cheap to do it right you'll have to be rich enough to do it wrong, over and over.
:bash:
Steel will work but you have some other issues you may contend with. Something about increased rotational mass blah blah blah....Plus it may affect the how fast or slow your engine can turn the flywheel.
I'd didn't imply there are better ones just your current one may not be in any shape to salvage and the additional expense will likely save money down the road. Short cuts are cool till you take the wrong one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffin

Established Member
I have the Mcleod dual friction clutch and love it. It isn't fully broken in yet put it grabs nicely with no chatter what so ever. Shifts are smooth as silk and I got a great deal as well....

n2fords2003

Established Member
Originally posted by Griffin
I have the Mcleod dual friction clutch and love it. It isn't fully broken in yet put it grabs nicely with no chatter what so ever. Shifts are smooth as silk and I got a great deal as well....

How is the streetablity? Pedal effort? where did you get it and what price?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Griffin

Established Member
Petal is better than stock. Streatability is amazing and I got it from Pro Motion Performance here in Fort Lauderdale. Price was 360.00 for the clutch and pressure plate.

Ystang99gt

Established Member

Is you dual friction clutch the twin plate design or is it like my clutch with the kevlar on one side and the organic material on the other but a single disk.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Very happy with my Centerforce Dual Friction. Have a few thousand miles on it and it is holding up real nice. Im running a KB w/17lb pulley. Good Luck!

Ystang99gt

Established Member
Not sure......

Did you pick up the clutch or did your shop install it fit you?? Because i payed about the same from promotion so we probably have the same clutch

n2fords2003

Established Member
Originally posted by black03
Very happy with my Centerforce Dual Friction. Have a few thousand miles on it and it is holding up real nice. Im running a KB w/17lb pulley. Good Luck!

Do all of y'all run at the drag strip? That is the holding up I want to know about!!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Have not been to the track per say. But I use 441 and other roads around here in the same manor as I would use Moroso.LOL
It has help up nicely, thats all I have for you now.Black03

davbrucas

Banned
my guess would be a combination of power, traction, and clutch adjustment with the adjuster that made your spec circle the drain...go with either the mcleod or CF...i have used both and they are great for the street with NO chatter..

Users who are viewing this thread