Spec 3+ in and input shaft replaced

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
First and foremost, thanks to Kevin for the lift, storage of my car for a week and of course the help of getting my car on the road. Everything went pretty much smooth as can be really.

Got the input shaft replaced and the tranny refreshed a bit. Installed the Spec 3+ with steel flywheel.

First impressions of the 3+ w/ steel flywheel compared to the DFX w/ aluminum flywheel:
1. Pedal pressure is less than the DFX setup. Not much, but noticable to me at least.
2. Chatter is now non existent compared to the DFX which was horrible
3. The steel flywheel seems to have taken the "bite" out of taking off..it is very smooth. Almost like the steel flywheel absorbs the initial shock I guess.
4. 450 mile break in recommended instead of the supposed no break in for the DFX
5. Clutch grabs up more towards the top compared to where my DFX was. Could be because the DFX was warn a bit, but it grabbed real low. My initial drive I was over revving the engine because I was used to the DFX grabbing down low off the floor.

I have only put 50 miles on so far so I have a ways to go before I can beat on it, but so far so good...my pedal vibration is gone now and the clutch feel smooth. I hope it can hold the power because I will not be going back to a Centerforce product again. For those of you with the 3+, does it grab up high for you? I have a decent amount of play in the pedal and the cable is plenty loose at the adjuster...probably can pull it at least 1/4 inch away from the adjuster.

terminator04

Director Choice 1st place
Established Member
Glad to hear your car is back on the road....My Spec 3+ grabs up high too so it made it a little harder to get used to then the stock clutch. I have zero chatter from day one also. I like it so far with 2K miles on it. I only broke it in for 250 miles..i couldnt take it anymore to be easy on her!

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
After seeing the spec 3, I'm going to put one in my car. Oh yeah, I'm dropping the IRS on Tuesday, if you want to stop over feel free. I'll be over there between 10 and 11 am.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
plan b said:
After seeing the spec 3, I'm going to put one in my car. Oh yeah, I'm dropping the IRS on Tuesday, if you want to stop over feel free. I'll be over there between 10 and 11 am.

OK, let me see what's up. I forgot it's my b-day and the wife wanted to do some stuff. If I come...I can't stay for long, but we could have that out in no time anyways.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good news, glad the car is back together. I'm glad to hear you like the 3+, I have one installed and I'm hoping it works well also. Higher grab is better to speed shift to a point.
-J

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
:beer: Kevin

my 3+ engages a little higher than I'd like but it's not too bad
attachment.php

I have cable adjusted to keep TOB approx 1/8" off the PP with engine running and everything at full operating temp.....if I put more slack in it, I don't get good disengagement at high rpms

Last edited:

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I was on the 2nd factory clutch and that always engaged/disengaged near the bottom of the pedal travel so I'm sure it will take getting used to. In fact everything will be different with my new setup whenever it's finished. I'll be running at least a 5 gallon splash of race fuel in every tank to be safe. Oh noes, more money! Edit: Prolly a 55 gallon drum of 112 or 116, the same stuff Mr. Shmell has in the hot rod barn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread