Spec 3+ clutch

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
I am looking at buying a new clutch for my 2004 cobra. I am currently at 618 RWHP an I just smoked the stock unit. In all my searches the one that is recommended most freq is the Spec 3+. Where is the best place to buy one? I am going with the 26 spline input shaft and want to know if I should consider an aluminum or steel flywheel? I have heard the Aluminum flywheel has the potential of chattering much more than the Steel. Other then weight any benefits?

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
I am looking at buying a new clutch for my 2004 cobra. I am currently at 618 RWHP an I just smoked the stock unit. In all my searches the one that is recommended most freq is the Spec 3+. Where is the best place to buy one? I am going with the 26 spline input shaft and want to know if I should consider an aluminum or steel flywheel? I have heard the Aluminum flywheel has the potential of chattering much more than the Steel. Other then weight any benefits?

I have the spec 3 with the stock flywheel, after 500 mile break in still a bit of chatter, but it was easy to adjust driving style a bit to prevent it. Chatter only happens when starting from a stop at low rpm. A handful of guys at my shop have done the spec 3+ and report that it is LESS chatter than the 3!! Go figure. I will do the 3+ when it comes to that time.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I love my 3+ other than some minor low rpm chatter that has decreased over time. From what I understand for the flywheel is if you plan on drag racing slicks most of the time it will help to shock them and launch better without bogging but if you plan on doing anything other than that you are better off going aluminum.

contact lethal performance on here and they will take care of you both in knowledge and price. oh yeah and wonderful customer service.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I had a 3+ and it was a chattery bitch that felt like it engaged in an inch or so of pedal travel. I pitched it and went with a Centerforce Dual Friction, which doesn't chatter at all, has a light pedal effort, and engages progressively over several inches of pedal travel.

My car is only at 450-460rwhp, so what's good for my car might not work so well with yours. I wouldn't go with a steel flywheel unless this is primarily a drag car. The extra flywheel effect will make the engine slower revving, make the RPMs hang more when shifting (more noticeable on the street when driving "normally") and will actually cost you 10-20rwhp on the dyno. On the plus side, steel is supposedly better for drag cars because it will "shock" the rear tires into giving you a better clutch drop launch on drag slicks.

So if it's mainly a drag car, consider steel. Otherwise, if it's mostly a street car, stick with aluminum. And I'd recommend looking into a dual-disc setup if you want to be SURE you've got enough clamping force while maintaining good drivability.

Blown04GT

No, it's not a GT
Established Member
I currently have the 3+ and love it.............after I broke it in. It chattered its ass off when I first got it but after a few hundred miles it simmered to a tolerable level. And it has held 873rwhp so far!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Spec 3+ with a steel flywheel has been very good to me. Takes 1,000+/- miles to get it broken in so it's very street friendly, but once it is, it pretty much drives like the stocker.

The Spec 3 is a puck stule clutch which tends to result in more post-breakin clutch chatter, while the 3+ is a true disc which usually settles down quite nice upon breakin.

I would give Lethal or Lightning Force Performance a call. They are excellent supporting vendors of SVTPerformance and I'm sure will meet any price you can get from another source.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
what does chatter mean???

Well imagine how a set of warped brakes feels while you're slowing down. Now take that and send it through your clutch pedal when you're trying to take off. A bit extreme but I think you get the point.

shhak

Established Member
Go with the Ram twin disc. I had a rivet come out of my pressure plate and ruin my disc and flywheel. Spec customer service said "sorry bout your luck" I'd personally buy any brand except spec. Even if it meant changing them out every year. Just my opinion

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
My Spec Stage 3+ never chattered, even during break-in. It's been smooth as butter from the get-go.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
+1 on Lethal, just ordered my 3+ with 26 spline input shaft. Awesome service

call Lethal.. enough said

I love my 3+ other than some minor low rpm chatter that has decreased over time. From what I understand for the flywheel is if you plan on drag racing slicks most of the time it will help to shock them and launch better without bogging but if you plan on doing anything other than that you are better off going aluminum.

contact lethal performance on here and they will take care of you both in knowledge and price. oh yeah and wonderful customer service.

Thanks for the support guys! We really appreciate the referrals. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Thanks, Jared :beer:

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
Thanks to all for your input. I have heard alot of positive comment about the spec3+ clutch including from my tuner HPH "HP by Herman", who recommends the 26 spline and the steel flywheel. Looks like thats the way to go.

I have to agree about Lethal. Nothing but great experiences with them. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I went with a steel flywheel too... My tuner recommended it as well. I have a a couple thousand miles on mine now and I still chatter on cold start ups.. Not bad though. I also have the 3, not the +.. Good luck with it, I'm sure you will love it (after break-in of course)

03cobramanIII

Banned
the 3 plus dont have pucks right it a full face disc on both side correct? lot of metallic too right ? i dont like the idea of the dual disc one cause of maching the tob slevve to make it work ? at the same time i would go to the 26 ps input shaft in the tob st. slevve . and possibly lt we. k memeber too with long tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread