Spec 3+ and spec fly, have u heard of this problem before?

stangaddict09

Established Member
Last month I had Spec stage 3+ and Spec billet Steel flywheel installed at ford .
Performed a proper 500 mile break in, loved the feel of the clutch I was very happy with my purchase . Now little over 1000 miles clutch started smelling burnt and you could hear it spinning on the flywheel if you let out easy... Called Spec they seem to genuinely care aske me to have it pulled and take pics. So I get the tranny out this evening , back of my mind wondering what could have happened. Long story short. The inner ring of small Allen screws that hold the flywheel insert all had shiny scratches around them except one single Allen ..... This single Allen was loose and was actually broken most likely maybe over tightened at factory. What this did, allowed that single bolt rub on and off on the clutch eating it up a little at a time taking little chunks and eating the clutch up with material . I never thought I would have to worry about a warranty on this clutch . I'm hoping this is an easy fix seeing it only a month old . Wondered if anyone had heard of this or has dealt with there warranty.
image_zps5d097f15.jpg
the Bolton the left middle with no scratches is the broken bolt .... Thanks Mike

Last edited:

stangaddict09

Established Member
I know all the guys at my ford garage. There all great guys ... I was wondering about specs warranty on something like this or if it has happened before? This was a brand new setup from spec clutch and flywheel ready to install?

Last edited:

Bigggy

Established Member
It would be on Spec warranty I think, The flywheel is "broken" and damaged the clutch. Never seen that before...and I just bought a Spec Flywheel, so hope mine will be fine. Let us know what happen next!

stangaddict09

Established Member
Update....... I will never buy nor recommend Specs products to anyone....
After sending the clutch and flywheel back . Spec calls me a few days later,
This is my experience over 4 phone calls with them and may or may not be
The normal for them , but they are rude and talked to me as if they had a chip
On there shoulder or just wanted to cover there butt on a faulty product.....after
Much talking they replaced the insert on the flywheel... Denied any product failure...
Even a loose screw from factory ???? Couldn't harm this clutch or have caused damage...
So why are they there ?? Wouldn't an evenly tightened surface be needed??
My main concern also was the disc being eaten up and gouged. They told me this was
Normal wear and not to worry about it?? I expressed my concerns on this damage and the response I got was ..( if your trying to get a free clutch out of this?? ) I stopped him there and said ..I payed a lot of money for this setup and expected it to last more than 1500 miles and for a warranty to actually be honored .... There response was ill take another look and send it back ...... What I received was a new flywheel insert as told , but the easy thing to do would have been to send a new disk... Instead I get my old one back , turned down like you would a rotor on a car..... Taking all the life away from my recently purchased low mileage clutch???? I had all the parts reinstalled ... New tob as well.... Now I have a vibration ,,, and this clanking noise I have found other members har had from spec clutches , while the car is idling and goes away only when the clutch is depressed...... My car has performed flawless all my years of owning and now due to a defective part from spec , horrible customer service and a warranty not worthy of paper it's printed on ... I'm beside myself on the whole thing and have a car I hate to drive.....spec does not cover shipping or install costs for any of this.... Even when you receive a part not completely assembled from factory...... Before purchasing from them I did a lot of research on clutch company's. you here some bad some good. I hate that I was unfortunately one of the bad and have had to go through all the bs and headaches associated with spec and there poor company practices .

Last edited:

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
That sucks man, sorry to hear stuff like this. I just installed the same setup. That's a lot of money to a company that cant treat their customers right. Doesn't make sense. They could have had a customer for life.

04cobra88

Established Member
I was considering a spec clutch but by the looks of this read ill be going with the McLeod

that sucks man hope things work out for you!

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
My spec 3+ and spec billet steel flywheel were installed by me in my driveway. 2000 trouble free miles. Love the setup.

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
My spec 3+ and spec billet steel flywheel were installed by me in my driveway. 2000 trouble free miles. Love the setup.

same here really not that hard at all. A couple jacks and some time. I have 600 miles and hopefully no problems. The only difference is I put an aluminum flywheel in.

stangaddict09

Established Member
As I said in my first post... I initially loved the feel and performance of the clutch right after install .... After the nightmare that has taken place after a improperly installed flywheel insert bolt from factory, causing damage to the whole unit , followed by the lack of care from spec on the whole issue , and now having a car that I will need a new clutch purchased and installed before it will run right again....I'm just making you guys aware.... Again I researched a lot before spending this money and to have it all for nothing really is not a great feeling..... I'm sure there are a spec setups with great results... But unfortunately I'm in the group that wasted there time and money, I feel everything would have been ok if they would have just sent a new clutch disk like I asked , instead I got the old one ground down to half it's life to cover up all the gouges in the disc??? Ughh sorry to vent , but I'm on hear all the time and just don't want this for anyone else. Thanks and god bless

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
I too had an issue with a spec 3+ where the pressure plate and clutch fork were making contact. Spec replaced the clutch but had to argue for hours with them. There customer sercice is very shitty and trust nothing you say. Everything worked out with the new clutch but I too will never buy or recommend a spec product ever again. This happened three years ago and I sure havnt forgot about it.

b_dike

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up op... I'll be needing a new clutch soon and spec has been my first choice, but now I think I'll just cough up the extra coin and do it right the first time with McLeod.

FST04SNK

Established Member
That sucks man, to hear stuff like this. I also have the same setup never had a problem with it ( Over 15,*** miles on it )

Users who are viewing this thread