Spec 2+ or Spec 3+

SVTFeltonPA

Established Member
Im really up in the air about my choice here..this is not a drag car..just my weekend driver but sometimes i wanna give it some hell if you know what i mean lol..I have a centerforce in now with 5k miles on it and its slipping so bad i can hardly drive it..any suggestions?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I have a 3+ and it's definitely daily driveable. If you're already in there you might as well do it right the first time.

Wayne64SS

Established Member
I just bought a 3+ as well. Not going to be able to install it for another week or so though :( Got too much other stuff going on.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
3+ hands down,
You will want to eat a gun for the 1st 1000 miles when you break it in...
After that, it's much better.
I went with the steel FW which from research keeps the chatter less...

slifko52

slifko
Established Member
i have a 3+ in my car its a great clutch for the track all grip no slip but on the street it can have alil chatter to it but once you drive it for alil while it pretty much goes away

bmxer89

Established Member
I got the 2+ because it was cheaper and holds enough power for a ported blower. But if you got the money just get the 3+

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i was in the same postion you're in now, i couldnt figure out which one i wanted. I originally wanted the stage 3+ because of the increased power capacity but i changed my mind at the last minute and decided to go with the stage 2+ because i was reading to many horror stories about clutch chatter, which is something i did NOT want. Funny thing was when i had my buddy who owns his own performance shop order me all of the parts (clutch, 26 spline input shaft, etc) i finally get them home and open the box and see a stage 3+ clutch disc (pressure plates are the same) Anyways, i was freaking out because i wanted the clutch in now, not wait another week to get the right clutch disc. I ended up calling Spec's tech line and talked with a guy named Justin. Mind you this was about 15 min after they have already closed, anyways i talked it over with him for about 15-20 min. He assured me that i would love the stage 3+ and not to worry about it. He said "I'm not B.S.ing you, you already bought the clutch so im not trying to sell you something.....you're gonna like the 3+". Long story short, i stayed with what i had and ended up putting it in, now in my case i have zero chatter, and im mean none! This is something that i cannot tolerate and probably would hate driving my car if it chattered. I can release the clutch ever so slowly to get the car creeping forward and it still doesnt chatter. Maybe im one of the few lucky ones, i dont know but i honestly love this clutch so far (note, i only have 72 miles on it) I also paid the extra $40 for the "low pedal requirement" option. The pedal effort is about half of what my stock clutch was.

monX

Established Member
I have Spec 3+ and I'm at 520 miles, I have to say I get a lot of chatter, I'm surprised how some of the guys saying they had no chatter, but mine chatters like a mofo... I'm praying this goes away... if I try take off with minimal gas, car chatters violently

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
72 miles and no chatter, I find that incredibly hard to believe...I too can let my clutch out a hair in 1st and reverse it will roll a little, but it's not totally engaging...
I still have a tad of chatter after 1000 miles but I'm stoked about the clutch!

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
72 miles and no chatter, I find that incredibly hard to believe...I too can let my clutch out a hair in 1st and reverse it will roll a little, but it's not totally engaging...
I still have a tad of chatter after 1000 miles but I'm stoked about the clutch!

I know what you're saying, I can't believe it myself. I was expecting a little chatter at least until the clutch was broken in but I'm telling you, and I don't know why I don't but Im getting no chatter of any kind. Like I said I can release the clutch slowly to get the car to creep forward and keep letting it out until it's fully released (5 mph rolling) and still nothing. Don't get me wrong, the clutch is more "grabby" than the stocker but thats expected for how much it can hold. I paid special attention when I was torquing everything down making sure everything went down even (star pattern) I made several passes increasing increments

nooner

Established Member
I think I'm going to go with the Spec 2+ since my car will probably never see more than 550 rwhp at most, and currently only has 432. I'll post with results of what I think about it.

LaFlavor

Established Member
I think I'm going to go with the Spec 2+ since my car will probably never see more than 550 rwhp at most, and currently only has 432. I'll post with results of what I think about it.

I hope I'm not too late, but I would advise against it.

Bear in mind that this is just my experience.

I put the 2+ in over thanksgiving weekend of 2008. The first six months were great. No chatter.

After about six months, I noticed a slight noise when engaging first gear. Within another 2 months the noise had gotten louder. Now, unless I keep the RPMs up around 2k when going in 1st, I get this horrible screeching/grinding noise in addition to chatter. If I had to do it all over again I'd spend the extra $75 or so and get the 3+.

nooner

Established Member
I hope I'm not too late, but I would advise against it.

Bear in mind that this is just my experience.

I put the 2+ in over thanksgiving weekend of 2008. The first six months were great. No chatter.

After about six months, I noticed a slight noise when engaging first gear. Within another 2 months the noise had gotten louder. Now, unless I keep the RPMs up around 2k when going in 1st, I get this horrible screeching/grinding noise in addition to chatter. If I had to do it all over again I'd spend the extra $75 or so and get the 3+.

Nope, not too late. I'm going on vacation for a week so I won't be home to accept delivery if I order now. I'll order when I get back. I plan on resurfacing the stock flywheel. A lot of people have had chatter with the 3+, and from what I have read, those that don't have chatter said they went with a steel flywheel, if they said anything about the flywheel. I've heard the 3+ is very grabby and has high pedal pressure. I like the stock pedal pressure and thought the 2+ would be closer to stock. I don't have a problem paying an extra $75, but with my power level, I thought a 3+ would be overkill. Anybody else have anything to say about the 2+?

Wayne64SS

Established Member
the 3+ is available with a lightweight pedal option. thats what i have in my car and it's like half as heavy as the stocker. slight chatter but i only have 200 miles so far.

Users who are viewing this thread