Spec 2 is in

silvercoffin

Established Member
This is the first clutch I have ever had that felt great with 7 miles on it. I have already put 75 miles on it and it feels just as good.

I expected it to grab really hard and it doesnt. If it is good for the power its supposed to be I should be able to launch well at the track and let out the clutch like I used to.

The 2 is not on/off like some people on this site have said and the pedal is only slightly stiffer than my 3+ ... not enough to bother me at all.

I'll have to post again once i get back to the track and see how it does.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
Thats cool

How often have you run the 2+ at the drag strip?

How long did you break in for?

well i have run it with my Eaton setup cutting 1.70 60ft around 10passes with that and 5 passes do far with the whipple, and going going to the track the 20th hopefully with 600+hp and gonna test to see how it holds

silvercoffin

Established Member

Great

Then again I only went with the 2. But my goal was to find a clutch that would launch similar to the fms CLUTCHES I have had but last a little longer.
I tried the 3+ and contrary to what most people say, I liked it on the street but the power came to fast at the track for the way I like to drive and for my IRS.

This guy on another thread goes on about how kevlar cant handle the heat and that he went through two stage 2 real fast... I dont understand why he would put another 2 in if the first one didnt last long.. He is running power simlar to mine.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
Great

Then again I only went with the 2. But my goal was to find a clutch that would launch similar to the fms CLUTCHES I have had but last a little longer.
I tried the 3+ and contrary to what most people say, I liked it on the street but the power came to fast at the track for the way I like to drive and for my IRS.

This guy on another thread goes on about how kevlar cant handle the heat and that he went through two stage 2 real fast... I dont understand why he would put another 2 in if the first one didnt last long.. He is running power simlar to mine.

well my 2+ is so grabby i tryed to slip it outta the hole and snaped a shaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxcfRJulrMs

silvercoffin

Established Member

wow I'm surprised that its that different. Did it grab hard from day one?

Did it chatter when you first had it installed?

Then again stock shafts arent that hard to break. I have had level twos for a while now just to be safe.

My spec 2 feels great. 75 miles on it and really nice.. i guess its too soon to say how well its going to hold my power though. Feels like it engages quickly but it can be slipped much more easily than my 3+ on the street.

I'm going to try for at least 400 miles on it before hittign the track.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Thats cool and you have got to be running bigger numbers than me. But do you drag race much? Drag race launches are a lot harder on the clutch than street driving or even street racing because you dont hook like you do at the track.

mattmoto441

Ridin Dirty #001
Established Member
wow I'm surprised that its that different. Did it grab hard from day one?

Did it chatter when you first had it installed?

Then again stock shafts arent that hard to break. I have had level twos for a while now just to be safe.

My spec 2 feels great. 75 miles on it and really nice.. i guess its too soon to say how well its going to hold my power though. Feels like it engages quickly but it can be slipped much more easily than my 3+ on the street.

I'm going to try for at least 400 miles on it before hittign the track.

well it is kinda chattery but it is real grabby tho, i only put 300 on mine and went racing within 2days on the intsall and have prolly 4k on it now and it still feels great

silvercoffin

Established Member

I have about 160 miles on it now and its awesome. Really nice.. Still trying to be good but it seems to grab hard enough but i can slip it.

I am breaking in a new trans too so I am going to take it easy for a few hundred more.

n03cobra

Established Member
I'm considering the Spec 2 clutch. I've had major problems with Ford and the TOB issue. Ford replaced the tranny and clutch at 32K & five stock clutches later at 45K miles, the TOB is ringing like a bell & Ford refuses to do anything further even though I have the extended Ford warranty. Ford says the TOB noise is normal! ha ha! How do you like the Spec 2 thus far? Would you recommend a different TOB or just use the SPEC? I was also considering the Fidanza 2.1 clutch. My Cobra is stock with the exception of Cat Backs and CAI. But, I would like a 3.1 upper pully if I can get the clutch monkey off my back. Hope to hear your comments.
n03cobra

silvercoffin

Established Member

sO FAR SO GOOD I only have about 260 miles on it so far, but it really feels nice but seems to grab a little more than FMS clutches.

I will know for sure once I get back to the track.

If I didnt race almost every weekend I would already say this is the clutch I would recommend for sure. Zero chatter.. 100% streetable and still strong..It also has felt great since it was installed. It didnt go through the lousy first 40-50 miles the 3+ did where the car was actually hard to drive while it broke in.

and I had the FMS clutch, and then the 3+ this summer to compare it too.

I should be back at the track on the 26th and I will post after that.

silvercoffin

Established Member
oh yeah

OH yeah forgot to answer your question

Yes I used the spec throw out bearings. I had chirping for a long time with my fms clutch...for the past two years it chirped and occasionally sounded like a helicopter after a run.

No noise with the spec bearing..

I wonder if your problem is the retainer sleave? I got the lethal steel sleave on my new rpm trans.....26 spline too just to be safe.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What flywheel did you go with for this clutch, as well as the 3+? Were there problems with the 3+?

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

Spec Aluminum flywheel

all i had to do from the 3+ to the 2 was get a new steel insert for the flywheel and bolt it on.

I had no trouble with the 3+ ...it was just the wrong clutch for me and imop for this car. That was the only change I made and all the sudden I had terrible wheel hop with that clutch. it was too much power too fast..you couldnt slip it like a street clutch. People on here and spec themselevs go on and on about how a clutch doesnt cause wheel hop... Of course there are other reasons for it but it was the clutch that brought it on. Since I switched to the 26 spline with the new trans I decided it was cheaper to get the right clutch rather than spend thousands on irs mods to make it launch right again.

With the 3+ MT ET STReets (non radials) got rid of the hop but i still couldnt launch like I did on drag radials with my FMS clutch.

On the street the 3+ wasnt bad ocne you got used to it.

do the math

3+ good for 800+ tq

2 good for 589tq

I only run around 540 at the engine.

The real test is coming on the 26th when I finally get back to the track.

Last edited:

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
My spec 2+ is goin in tuesday and this thread made me feel a little better about my choice. I was gonna go with the 3+, but i heard it cant really be slipped like the 2+.

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
i love my spec 2+ ive been getting some good 60s ive gotten 1.6s. no problem here. broke mine in for 800 miles to be safe... SUCKED!!! lol but its recomended to brake it in for 500miles in STOP and GO traffic.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Yeah the 2 never felt much different since it was in the car... It never went through that lousy feeling period like my fms clutches or the 3+ when first installed..

If anything I think the 2 actually started to grab a little more since the break in. but I can definetely still slip it.

Users who are viewing this thread