Spec 2+ Clutch kit..... Chatter!!!!!

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I already have almost 900 miles on my brand new Spec Stage 2+ Clutch.

All was good and chatter free for the first day. Around 100 miles of stop & go driving (traffic) the chatter began and has been there ever since.

Spec recommends a break-in period of 500 miles of stop & go driving, I treated the clutch very gently for 800 miles before even accelerating hard or going WOT.

What could be wrong? Maybe a defective disc? Do Spec offers a warranty on their clutches?

I do have to admit that this clutch grabs hard!!! It's bad ass! But for daily driving, that chatter is very annoying!!

I've been thinking of going back to a stock clutch since it was very smooth.

Thanks!

viper82489

Established Member
Mine did the same thing yours is doing, was super smooth for the first couple hundred miles then started to chatter. I just gave it some time and it smoothed back out, just be patient I couldn't be more happy with the clutch now. If its really that annoying just give it a little more gas than normal when starting off until it smooths out.

Oh and be prepared for this thread to get moved into the driveline section.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks for replying.

That's exactly what I do. Give more gas when starting off to minimize the chatter. I raise the RPMs around 2K when slipping the clutch or try to release it as quick as possible to avoid the chatter.

When did yours finally smoothed out? What mileage?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Its common for a high performance clutch to chatter, my spec 3 with aluminum flywheel chatters too. Just gotta get used to it. You havnt seen chatter untill you've drive an unsprung puck clutch, now that's chatter

viper82489

Established Member
I think it was around 2000-2500 miles when the chatter stopped which if your driving it every day shouldn't take that long. After a while you will get used to driving around it and you wont even notice it anymore.

Edit: To be honest the chatter actually went completely away, it will still do it if I don't give it enough gas. Just give it time you'll get used to it.

Last edited:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Yeah, it sucks, specially when you have to drive in heavy traffic (jams) in the morning and in the afternoon.

I'm also concerned that it could damage other parts.

Hope it goes away soon.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
my spec2+ did the same shit but before 3000miles where up it would completely slip in fourth. called spec they were helpful but i didnt have the time to get it back out and returned for their inspection in warranty time period. it hangs on my wall now as a reminder not to buy spec cause nobody wants to do that twice.replaced with centerforce dual friction night and day difference i would recommend it to anyone.i have a ram twin disc street clutch now rated for over a thousand horse and it is easier than the old ford king cobra set ups and no chatter just fyi.good luck with spec call em quick so maybe they can help

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I already contacted Spec (email) and basically they told me to wait for the clutch to settle. That if it was installed correctly and with a proper break-in, the chatter will go away.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I had a spec stage 5, now thats chatter, rumble, and vibration all at take off. Most of your performance clutches are going to require you to give more RPMS at take off than a stock clutch always, no matter what the break-in period. Now my stage 5 always chattered, but it wasnt till a few Hard launches and really putting a load on it till it calmed down by about 50%. Try beating on it a time or two-- "Really" break it in.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
1,200 miles and still chatters. Haven't noticed any improvement. Just getting used to it and trying to avoid the chatter.

Couple of hard launches and it hasn't improved.

But it really grabs!!

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
my spec2+ did the same shit but before 3000miles where up it would completely slip in fourth. called spec they were helpful but i didnt have the time to get it back out and returned for their inspection in warranty time period. it hangs on my wall now as a reminder not to buy spec cause nobody wants to do that twice.replaced with centerforce dual friction night and day difference i would recommend it to anyone.i have a ram twin disc street clutch now rated for over a thousand horse and it is easier than the old ford king cobra set ups and no chatter just fyi.good luck with spec call em quick so maybe they can help

The spec in my car lasted a whopping 10k miles before it started to slip. Horrible clutch and shattered to damn much. Replaced it with a ford racing piece and couldn't be happier.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Ok, I think I will be going back to stock clutch. Can't stand that fu..ing chatter anymore. It chatters too much no matter how much gas I give at take off.

I called a Ford dealer and they have a Ford and a Luk oem replacement. They say it's the same clutch but the Ford costs a LOT more. What's the deal on that? Is it true they are the same clutch?

Users who are viewing this thread