SPEC 1 clutch chatter??

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
well i finally got to take the car out of a long drive this morning.
i am getting a chatter from stop to 1st.

i installed new spec 1 clutch kit with new spec aluminum flywheel
why spec? well that was part of the deal when i bought the car. i would of gone with center force dual friction since it is my DD.

i read on some other forums that it was normal and that it needed to be broken in. but i guess what im looking for is some feedback from anyone that has gone thru this setup.

now for break in..i know is 500 miles on stop and go traffic..is that true?
i also found someone that put this.
{You might try the old school way of breaking it in and that is a high rpm dump the clutch launch. Be sure there are no police around. } how true is that?

thanks in advance:beer:

SKRMNGT

Established Member
500 miles of stop and go, and doing that second method would probably glaze the clutch and the new flywheel.

Also, Spec shit is known to chatter, it should work itself before the break in period. That is to say if your throw out bearing lasts that long. :beer:

txblackmach1

StockR
Established Member
500 miles of stop and go, and doing that second method would probably glaze the clutch and the new flywheel.

Also, Spec shit is known to chatter, it should work itself before the break in period. That is to say if your throw out bearing lasts that long. :beer:

lol..yea i read up on that tb bearing..i replaced it with a center-force one.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I heard horror stories about SPEC about how not following the break in procedure would make it horrible.

I babied my Stage 2 for 1000 miles before beating on it. Worked fine with only the smalled chatter if I lugged the car around at low speeds.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member

This was my experience to the letter with that spec crap. Put in the spec and had a stiffer pedal with longer travel, 3 weeks later pull the trans to replace the TOB, chattered the whole time. Complete POS.

The promotion clutch on the other hand has been fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread