Spark Plugs

Trblmkr

Established Member
I know this topic has been covered before on this board but I still have a few questions

I currently have the factory plugs in my car and it's about to hit 30K miles.

I've been told that the factory puts in Plat plugs, but our cars actually do better with Copper.. Is this true, what's the PROOF ??

If going with a copper plug, what brand name is better.. Motorcraft, NGK, Autolite ?? Also, what are the stock numbers (If seen so many numbers posted not sure which is which)

How often should these plugs be changed??

Do the Iridium really provide any better performance for their cost ?? (bang for buck) :shrug:

Thanks

Vinnie T

Established Member
Manufacturers use platinum plugs because they'll last longer than standard copper plugs. That cuts maintenance costs which can be a selling point. However, platinum is not the best electrical conductor. For that, go with iridium or copper. Both are equally good for performance, but the iridiums are more durable and can be used longer. If replacing plugs are no big deal to you, a good set of coppers from NGK, Denso or Autolite should work well.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
What about those new plugs that the new F-150's use that Ford claims helps give the new 5.4 L LEV a massive torque curve at under 1,000 R.P.M.'s? I was thinking about doing a set but had no idea what plugs to get.:shrug:

:beer:

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
What about those new plugs that the new F-150's use that Ford claims helps give the new 5.4 L LEV a massive torque curve at under 1,000 R.P.M.'s? I was thinking about doing a set but had no idea what plugs to get.:shrug:

Let us know if you find out more about these plugs. This is first that I've heard of this.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by Vinnie T
Let us know if you find out more about these plugs. This is first that I've heard of this.

I've been doing some research and I'm getting perfectly mixed theories... some say they new 5.4 L is designed specifically to utilize these plugs and are pointless in other cars, some say they would kick ass in all V-8's, some say it's all one big scam regardless of whether it's in a 5.4 L or not. I heard the same about Bosch's Platnium (I fuggered the spelling on that one) +4's but I'm still going at it. I'll let you guys know what I hear. If these Motorcraft plugs are as cool as they say they are, I'm buying 8 very soon!

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
I was very close to getting Denso Iridium's last weekend.. But can't justify the almost 100.00 price if there's no hard numbers available to review on HP increases or efficiency's...

Can someone post up some HP increases from a Dyno run using Iridium plugs .. (That's if someone has some dyno sheets on the subject)

Thanks

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Do a search for plugs in the 03 forums. I believe most who changed from stock simply went to coppers. Either way, iridiums or coppers are a big step up from stock. I myself went the way of NGK iridiums (www.sparkplugs.com) for 7 bucks each. Car feels to idle smoother, pulls really well all the way, and rpms seem to climb quicker as well.

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Originally posted by GodStang
Why are the NKG 7 dollars and the Denso 12 dollars? Are they that much better?

I don't know.:shrug:

The denso's have a .4 mm electrode and the ngk's a .7 mm. Does it make a difference? I don't know. It would lead me to believe it's all name hype. Try that website above and read the FAQ's. They sell both the denso's and the ngk's.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
I've been doing some research and I'm getting perfectly mixed theories... some say they new 5.4 L is designed specifically to utilize these plugs and are pointless in other cars, some say they would kick ass in all V-8's, some say it's all one big scam regardless of whether it's in a 5.4 L or not. I heard the same about Bosch's Platnium (I fuggered the spelling on that one) +4's but I'm still going at it. I'll let you guys know what I hear. If these Motorcraft plugs are as cool as they say they are, I'm buying 8 very soon!

these new plugs are specific to the new 3valve heads...and will be included in the new gt's 3 valve heads also...cannot use them on 2 or 4 valve heads as of yet....

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I called SVT today, they said they can't make any recommendations... oh wow... anyways, I talked to a guy at a local garage who runs a 12 sec all motor mustang (with a 50 shot... but it's just a 50 shot)... so if he runs a 12 secs out of a 327 he built himself and put into a GT, he must know what he's talking about! That's my logic atleast. He says those plugs should kick ass based on the build but he doesn't know if they would fit. I'm going to go to the dealer and buy a set tomorrow and he said he'd be willing to throw my car on the dyno and re-tune my AFC for free to see if it makes a difference

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by quick01snake
these new plugs are specific to the new 3valve heads...and will be included in the new gt's 3 valve heads also...cannot use them on 2 or 4 valve heads as of yet....

... Oh... didn't see this post, I'm going over there to try them anyways... Will post tomorrow!

SVTHorsnake

Banned
no, Haven't pulled in my pay check yet but I'll definitely do it. He said the offer's still up for the free dyno whenever I get them. It shouldn't be more than a few weeks. I can't believe my parents won't help their own son excel in this world and help him buy spark plugs:p

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by trplblacksnake
Got mine for 12.99 a box because Auto Zone guys are stupid as dog shit.

That's wrong! I think you send me that box and I'll return it for you.

Lucky bastard. I might have to try that though.

Users who are viewing this thread