Spark plugs & Anti seize

testorossa1989

Established Member
So out of curiosity how many of you use anti seize on your NGK's. I read a article directly from Ngk advising not to do such practices because it alters the torque values up to 20%. They also state the outer coat of metal acts as a corrosion inhibitor. As you all know the 4 thread heads aren't the most friendly and leaves many nervous to even remove plugs. So how many of you despite ngk suggestions still use anti seize

Follow up question, I read alternating torque values. The most trust worthy one was 11ft lbs. Can anyone confirm or deny the torques

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I don't use anti seize. I use an inch-lb torque wrench set at 133 in-lbs. This allows me to get into the middle range of the wrench vs. using a ft-lb wrench at 11 ft-lbs, which is at the bottom of the range on a ft-lb torque wrench. I also have 8 thread plug holes and have never had a problem.

TxCobra76

Established Member
I may be asking for trouble here but let me ask a question. How do you know if you have 4 or 9 thread heads? I haven't changed my plugs in this car so never had a opportunity to look. Build was late 2003 model.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Rambro

Established Member
I've always used a little anti seize on mine. 4 thread heads and just get them snug, I've never tried to torque them. Been doing it this way since 06 and haven't had a problem so far.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I've always used a little anti seize on mine. 4 thread heads and just get them snug, I've never tried to torque them. Been doing it this way since 06 and haven't had a problem so far.
Due to my application I have to sure rather than sorry in this case.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was told the same thing by my tuner about not using anti seize, especially if youre gonna be changing them at least once a year anyway. Also, if you dope around and put too much on there it can get runny and work its way down the ground strap and you end up with a fouled plug.

Rambro

Established Member
Due to my application I have to sure rather than sorry in this case.

Just don't use any if it worries you that much especially if you will be changing them frequently. I only use a light dab of it at the top of the threads

MG0h3

Established Member
I may be asking for trouble here but let me ask a question. How do you know if you have 4 or 9 thread heads? I haven't changed my plugs in this car so never had a opportunity to look. Build was late 2003 model.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

You can figure out with the casting numbers on the head. Its located right above the manifolds so its difficult to find. DB and DC heads had 9 threads if I remember correctly. If you google terminator casting numbers or 03/04 castings itll come up.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

there ya go

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've been using antisieze for years. The only vehicles I've torqued the plugs was our 08 Expedition and 06 GT. That was because they have the scrappy plug design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mkb116

Established Member
I use antiseize on my NGKs, several years now. Never had a problem. 24 lbs of boost.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I use a little Hi-Temperature Silicone grease on the threads and Porcelain to keep the boots from sticking!!;)

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I bought my early 03 in January and it never had a plug change, so I was very nervous after reading about plugs breaking. After reading every thread I could find I ran a bottle of fuel treatment through a tank of gas to clean any accumulated carbon off the exposed threads in the combustion chamber,happily all the plugs came out no problem,a ford tech had recommended wd-40 on the threads, I used an inch lb torque wrench at132 in lbs

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I've used anti-seize on aluminum heads for 20+ years. Only takes a very little amount to get a light coating. I torque all my plugs in my mod motors to 13ft lbs.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Unless otherwise stated all torque specs are quoted "dry" meaning without anti-seize, oil, grease or any type of lubricant for assembly. When using any type of lube "wet" reduce the torque 20%-25%. On spark plugs I use a very small dab of anti-seize then torque to 105inlbs. I have never had a problem.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I bought my early 03 in January and it never had a plug change, so I was very nervous after reading about plugs breaking. After reading every thread I could find I ran a bottle of fuel treatment through a tank of gas to clean any accumulated carbon off the exposed threads in the combustion chamber,happily all the plugs came out no problem,a ford tech had recommended wd-40 on the threads, I used an inch lb torque wrench at132 in lbs
That's the 05-08 cars. Well, the early 08. The later 08 got an updated plug design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I use very little antiseize. Less is more when it comes to this. I torque mine to 136 in/lbs.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I use a small amount of anti seize too. Hand thread them with an extension and then hold the head of a 3/8 ratchet to snug them up

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
I never use anti-seize on anything with critical torque specs, or that I'll have in and out more than once a year.

Anti-seize makes it easy to over torque, cross thread or have things loosen up on their own.

Ford specifically states not to use any anti-seize on plugs. Get some on the porcelain by accident or use to much and you could end up with a miss-fire.

Electricity follows the path of least resistance, and that big gob of anti-seize is an easy target compared to the spark plug.

IMO anti-seize should be used in non critical areas where dissimilar metals are present and lay face to face, (aluminum wheels and steel hubs) or places like the back surface of your rotor and hub, never on the threads of a bolt that you want to stay in place.

I see the effects of people using it on Lug studs quite frequently, as well as plugs. From over torqued to loose as well as misfires and carbon tracking in coil boots.

Users who are viewing this thread