Spark plug warranty issue?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
So I had some service done on my 04. It has the 5.4 3v with the "majic" spark plugs.

I had the plugs changed (for no better reason that just because)
I had the tranny serviced because it was being twitchy
and I had the AC serviced because it crapped out on me.

I get the bill for 800+dollars. Labor and parts and things for stuff that should be covered under my extended warranty...

I pay the bill because I know the guys in the service dept. and they deserve to get paid. They knew the spark plugs on the 04-05s had issues with breaking...one broke, and they spent 18 hours getting it back out...

So I paid the bill, now I will start sending letters to Ford attempting to recoup some of my money especially after the amount I paid for the extended service plan.

Thoughts/suggestions/recriminations?

Last edited:

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Just got off the phone with the Customer Relations person:

because no parts were replaced, the labor isn't covered. Spark plugs are not covered either...

And they may or may not be aware of the problem with the spark plugs, but don't want to do anything about it...

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
spike_africa said:
spark plugs and fluid isnt covered under a warranty thats wear and tear items sadly.

True, but Ford knows about the plug breakage issue. I've heard of people being reimbursed for labor (retrieval of broken plugs) but now that it happened to me, no one knows who/what should be done to get some of the costs recovered.

I've started a letter writing campaign, so we'll see.

STG

Banned
1. Read the entire warranty.

2. Comprehend the entire warranty. If you have trouble, have someone explain it to you.

3. If you agree to the terms and price, sign and pay for it.

4. If you don't understand or cannot complete steps 1 and 2, skip step 3.

It is evident from the posts here that you knew spark plugs weren't covered. If they are known to break, why in the hell would you expect them to be covered?

Last edited:

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
STG said:
It is evident from the posts here that you knew spark plugs weren't covered. If they are known to break, why in the hell would you expect them to be covered?

You're missing the point, and I haven't been clear so that's my fault not yours. :thumbsup:

There have been ignition based issues with the 5.4 3v motors. When, brought in under warranty (manual says change every 100k)-where wear items (brake pads, tires, spark plugs etc) are not explicitly covered UNLESS the vehicle is not functioning as designed, (ie, tires wearing oddly or tread coming off, brake pads failing after 10k miles, engine missing because of a fouled plug or coil pack) the labor to fix said problem IS covered.

The spark plug design is such that the plug threads (cast iron) bond to the heads (aluminum). When you attempt to remove said plug, the ceramic breaks off from the threads. Other people have had the labor to retreive said broken spark plugs covered. I remember reading it on www.ford-trucks.com in thier forums back in 04, 05 and 06. But now that I had the same problem, I can't seem to locate these individuals/and or no one remembers what they did/said to get Ford to cover it.

As I said in the intial post, I paid the initial bill because A)I'm a bonehead and B) I like my service department, and nothing sours a relationship like fighting over money.

I'd draw a diagram but I suck at autocad.

EDIT: nevermind I see you've been BANNED, so ignore me. I'll leave the text up in case others are as confused. That and I'm lazy///

Users who are viewing this thread