spark plug question

vnms96

Established Member
i tried searching, and i cant find the answer. so here goes, i replaced my plugs with ngk iridium plugs. are these good plugs or should i go back with others.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I replaced my plugs with NGK's yesterday and i started having problems, not sure if it's spark plug related yet or not but i guess i'll see. I've heard the stockers Autolite 764's are the best for our cars.

Toasty

Established Member
Autolite 764 coppers ftw. Best performance plug thats readily available.

MAKE SURE TO SET THE GAP. I dont know how many times I have talked to people that think plugs come out of the box pre-gapped.

On a side note, I've been looking for one of those gapping tools that properly bends the . I'm not talking feeler gauges or other tool that has a specific thickness. This is more like a small vise that holds the plug and bends the electrode in a 'flat' fashion. Some of the tools like this I have seen also have a built in light for close examination of the plug electrodes. Any ideas where I can get one of these tools?

Last edited:

vnms96

Established Member
well the iridium plugs cant be gapped. there application specific. the reason for this post is when i got the car it had autolight double platinums in it and i switched them to the iridium plugs and it doesnt feel as strong as it did. and im more then willing to change the plugs again if there is a better plug. all my mods are in my sig.

Black Stang 97

Established Member
I replaced my plugs with NGK's yesterday and i started having problems, not sure if it's spark plug related yet or not but i guess i'll see. I've heard the stockers Autolite 764's are the best for our cars.

what kinda problems??? i have problems with mine too, im thinking of going to autolite ar103's.......mine missfires alot during idle....gets me pissed off.....

on a side note, which are better for my setup?? the Autolite 764 gapped at .032 or the ar103's gapped to .032??

sorry to hijack.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

Black Stang 97

Established Member
NGK TR55IX are the only way to go.

http://lamustangclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=417842&postcount=24

Runs smoother, better idle and better gas mileage.

I'll never run the Autolite POS's ever again. There is a good reason why they are so cheap.

More proof:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78449&highlight=tr55ix

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63221&highlight=tr55ix

will they work with my vortech though?? i read the links you posted and everyone seems to be running them on na cars.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
will they work with my vortech though?? i read the links you posted and everyone seems to be running them on na cars.

For the blown applications, I think TR6 or TR6ix are the recommended plugs and are also popular with the terminator guys.

Black Stang 97

Established Member
For the blown applications, I think TR6 or TR6ix are the recommended plugs and are also popular with the terminator guys.

i am running tr6, but have a horrible idle, i tried other coil packs and same problem, so im pretty sure its the spark plugs..... tr6ix are kinda expensive....

Black Stang 97

Established Member
I just installed NGK TR6s yesterday and can already feel a much smoother idle.

what are your gapped to??? mine are at .032 and have a missfire near 1k rpm... at 8xx (idle) theres a slight miss, but the worst part is at around 900-1200 rpm....

also, if i would to go with the ap103's, would they do ok??? i couldnt find the ar103's.....

Last edited:

1badnacobra

Established Member
i have a 95 and just installed ngk tr6's because i heard they were the best plugs for nitrous, but now i have a miss at idle

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
Id recommend those who are having issues checking ure wires. When removing mine i accidentally pulled the wire out of the connector and had to repair it. Glad i looked them all over before reinstalling them. Just a heads up..

Users who are viewing this thread