Spark plug/oil issues...

pottsy

Established Member
About a month ago, I was driving home on the highway when the ABS light came on. From then on I noticed some hesitation in the car at low RPM's when you give it more than half throttle. Recently the car threw a CEL, which I imagine had to do with the poor throttle response. The low oil light was also on all the time, despite the oil being recently changed with 7 quarts of Mobil 1.

Since I dont have time to work on the car, i dropped it off at a dealership. They informed me the car was over 2 quarts low on oil and the plugs and wires were bad, interesting considering the plugs were changed just a few months ago and I changed the oil maybe 1000 miles prior. I have noticed that the car lets out a very noticeable puff of smoke on hard shifts. The dealership wants to hand me back the car with just new plugs and wires, but obviously something else is wrong since this is my third set of plugs in a year...any ideas what could be going on with the car?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Bad rings maybe. Sounds like the oil is fouling your plugs. Burning 2 quarts in 1000 miles is not a good thing.

blackfang

Established Member
Burning oil possibly. I think you are putting in too much oil. That can cause air cavitations the valvetrain.

suprsnke

Established Member
Do a compression test. All your cylinders should be within 15% of each other. If that looks good the next thing would be a leakdown. This will let you know whats going on with your engine.

Good Luck.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
badass98svt said:
where the hell have you been?
I was wondering the same thing!

Pottsy, do you have oil seeping into your plug holes (for a lack of better term)? The rubber gasket from the valve cover that goes around these holes can get out of place and oil drip into them. I noticed two of mine slightly doing this when I changed my plugs last winter. It wasn't much so I didn't worry about it. Could it be possible that you are leaking a bunch of oil into them and it's seeping around the plugs and fouling them? :shrug:

SuperG

Established Member
I'll state the obvious first, because that's pretty much the limitations of my intelligence...if you are not working in the car yourself, don't take it to the dealer! Is there someone else who really knows Cobra's that you can trust?

I believe our Cobras only require 6 quarts of oil, unless you happen to have a larger oil pan or 2 filters...so an extra 17% oil can aid in leakage problems.

I also concur regarding the compression and leakdown tests. Also check for oil in the crankcase ventilation tube (passenger side valve cover), PCV, IAC, and EGR valves for oil. I believe failure in these areas can also cause oil to get onto the plugs.

Speaking of plugs, when they were removed, were they covered in soot? That can simply be cleaned off. The coil packs and/or wires may have needed replacing, as it seems that was what the Ford dealership did.

Users who are viewing this thread