Spark plug issue.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
I just picked up an 01 Mustang GT .

The spark plug socket would not fit down the spark plug wells of the motor on the passenger side bank. I had to use a dremel tool and cut some of the factory plastic intake manifold to get the socket to clear. The lip on the intaked manifold was overlapping the spark plug wells.

I'm just wondering if anyone ever had to deal with this. Also, this is the first time these spark plugs were changed (Car has 150k miles:dw:)

PS I've changed spark plugs on these SOHC motors many times and never had this problem once.

Thanks

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Never ran into that one before, but how bad were the plugs to get out, were the threads badly screwed up? I don't know who designed those full threaded plugs but they had to be morons.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Never ran into that one before, but how bad were the plugs to get out, were the threads badly screwed up? I don't know who designed those full threaded plugs but they had to be morons.

The plugs came out like butter. I just couldn't fit the damn socket down the well.

The plugs actually looked perfect, they had some crud on the ceramic insulator from 150k miles of abuse but below the gasket they were dry,smelled fine and had the perfect coloring. 7 of the coil packs were original as well and somewhat falling apart.

cLockWise

Established Member
That's odd, I just changed the plugs on a 2001 Mustang w/ a blower on it not to long ago. We didn't have to go that far, however, I did take the intake, throttle body and a few other things out to make life a bit easier.. Thanks for the info though!

gtwo

Established Member
My car had the same problem, mine has a dorman intake on it through, and it is a pain in the ass.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
My car had the same problem, mine has a dorman intake on it through, and it is a pain in the ass.

Good info, upon further inspection it appears that I have a Dorman 615175 intake manifold on my car.

Hopefully they're not all like this..

gtwo

Established Member
Just clearance the intake with a dremel tool plus I found a thin wall socket and it fits better than a regular plug socket.

In fact the way I discovered it was the plug blowing out and when it was repaired the swedge tool wouldn't seat correctly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread