Spark/Ignition problem or clutch slipping

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I took my car out today after loading what should be my last tune revision from VMP Tuning. Rev limiter has been set at 7k, but I'll probably never go over 6500. Did a wide open throttle pull in 3rd from 1k RPM's. Car seems to cut out at 6k RPM's and has done this in the past, but I thought that may be where the rev limiter was set. Not sure if it is a spark or ignition problem. Also I did a second pull running through 1st and 2nd gears when I ran into another problem and not sure if they are related. The car seems to hit between 4-5k RPM's and then looses power. Best way I can describe it is it wouldn't keep going, but the RPM's were staying put. When I tried to give it more gas, the RPM's stayed but the boost gauge would shoot up to around 18psi (about what I get) like the engine was still building boost. Thought maybe the clutch was slipping, but would the engine still build boost if there was no load on it if the clutch is slipping. I have been using the NGK TR6 spark plugs for the past 2 years and have never had this problem until today. Also, it is the stock clutch with about 27k miles on it and has not had any problems. Justin at VMP Tuning was just dialing in the A/F ratio and as far as I know the datalogs have looked fine so far, so it doesn't sound like a tuning issue. A friend suggested that it sounds like the spark is getting "blown out." Anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
If you can check the logs, when there is clutch slip, boost plateaus / falls off a bit with HP and you will observe the LOAD drop instead of being near 90+% at WOT.

A dyno pull is best. The power loss will be smooth with clutch or belt slip, whereas spark blowout causes jagged power curves.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I wasn't recording it when this happened. Perhaps a second run while recording is in order.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Took this video today. The Cobra ran great with tons of power!! I regapped the spark plugs to 0.28. Didn't get the same problem though, but it still cuts out in 3rd gear around 5500-6000 RPM's. No problems in 2nd all the way up to 6500 RPM's when I shifted.

[youtube_browser]sCGsiXkzV-g[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Come to find my fuel pumps were maxing out because the control knob for the boost a pump had a short. So I wasn't getting the benefits of the boost a pump. Matt at Kenne Bell took care of it and is sending me a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread