Spark blow out?

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
hey guys! i was just wondering of ways that you have solved this problem? car is vortec watter to air kit aprox 9 psi. new tr6, wires and msd ignition coils. At around 5200rpm the car falls flat.. just like hitting a rpm limiter. I have had TERRIBLE luck with the DIS+4 boxes form msd. Went throu 3 of them and would love to solve this problem with out installing another one again.. Has any one had luck with this K.B. boost a spark? should i close my gap to .030?

Thanks for your help

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Try it without the DIS 4 boxes...
At 9psi, you shouldnt really be experiencing spark blow out...

Also what water injection kit are you using? How much is being injected? The water injection might be causing it to run fat up top...

Whats the A/F ratio as the RPMs climb?

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
its a watter to air intercooler.. came with the vortec kit.. for after cooling.. its like a inter cooler in the charge pipe before the throttle body.. a/f stays at 11.4 or 11.3 the whole way up. then just dies...

Black Stang 97

Established Member
im running similar setup and was having almost the same problem... my plugs are gapped to .032 right now and runs perfect...
the problem with mine was that it had too much timing causing te knock sensors to pull back timing as a safety causing all sorts of mis fires after 5k rpm...
heres my dyno sheet showing where power took a dive once it mis fired...
4bf04809.gif

Last edited:

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
well it was actually a customers car... he was runnig a oild style fuel system and i redid the whole thing for him. it is a 97 cobra withj vortec vs1 i think? but i installed new injectors, a sct2400 maf, bunch of gauges and new fuel pump, regulator, and a tune. Removed the dis +4 module back to the stock ignition.. and i cant get rid of this problem for him.. I had the blower off today to replce some bearings.. maybe i'll check the gap tomorrow if i have time

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I had a similar situation when I had my car dynoed. I have D1SC, I was seeing 8.5# at 6,000rpms and then the car fell flat on its face as if it hit a limiter. And the more timing that was added the lower in the rpm it hit that "limiter." We pulled the plugs and found all the gaps to be way off. Likely due to heating and cooling cycles. After we regapped the plugs to .032 the car was fine and revs all the way to 6700 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread