Spare tire key

02TruBlue

Think of the Children
Established Member
My truck didn't have one when I bought it. Is this something the dealership would have on hand? Are they the only option for it?

SVT2122

Established Member
I have the same problem, someone on LR told me to reach up underneath the tire and yank the lock out and than you can use the tool under your hood with out the key. I'm scared to even ask a dealership how much for a new one.

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
I had the same problem and I finally said #^*# it and cut the S.O.B. off. If you do go that route make sure you got a buddy with you to support the tire cause once that cable goes it falls fast! I was removing mine anyway for weight savings

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
I was in your situation when I first got my L also I went to the dealership and they b/s'd around in the long run they told me no they couldn't get me a spare key for the lock. I ended up cutting the spare off then just unbolting the whole assembly and tossing it.

joshua5438

Here...Hemi...Hemi !!!
Established Member
a guy at work had this same problem in a regular F150. He tried a few keys that Ford had with no luck. I let him try my key and it was the right one. Ford told him that you have a 1 in 32 chance of finding the right key... Once he found out that mine was the same we called the number on my spare tire key registration form and ordered him a new one. Just try and find as many keys as you can maybe you will luck up with the right one.

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
I went to a dealership that had a whole kit. They didn't even charge me to take them off.

02TruBlue

Think of the Children
Established Member
I got one that im not using

And theres a 1 in 32 chance it might match mine!:thumbsup: haha

I don't get it. Some years had them while other did not. Those that did have them had several different ones. It's a friggin spare tire....

I might just try my luck and see if the Ford dealerships around me have one. If not ill just cut it out and lay it in the bed. I haven't needed it yet, but I certainly will at some point....most likely somewhere far away from home.....in the rain.....without cell service. Thats my luck.

Users who are viewing this thread