Spacers and locking lugs?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
So I'm thinking about putting some 10's or 10.5's in the rear. Bought the LFP 3/8" spacers and they come with longer lugnuts. (I have stock studs.) I know a lot of you are running spacers also. Is there any way to use the Ford locking lug? Or does it not have enough thread engagement? If not, are you running no locks in the rear or did you find some specialty locks?

cobracide

Established Member
Thanks for the link, but I need a locking solution, park downtown every day...

After you put the open ended lug nuts on, you thread your stock bolts on along with the locking wheel nuts. The open ended nuts will leave enough thread for this. : )

059.JPG

Last edited:

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
I'm running 10.5" rims with Nitto 555's - 315's. I was told spacers aren't needed. I did get the MM rounded head rear IRS bolts as a precaution.
What tires are you going to run on your rims?

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Haven't bought em yet, still deciding. I'd like a 315, thinking maybe the Sumitomo for tread life. But if I go with 18's instead of 17's, most of the repro rims only go to 10", prob use a 295 or 305 on that.

boozer95

Make sure you do your homework before buying and installing. I just bought an 04 Cobra that the previous owner installed 315/35R18 on 10.5's Long story short. Whoever installed these tires didnt put wheel spacers on and the tires were rubbing on the IRS support which caused A LOT of drag. It was enought to actually loosen the axle nut inside the rear hub causing the axle bearing to fail. not a very expesive fix but aggrivating none the less

bbk03gt24

Established Member
Make sure you do your homework before buying and installing. I just bought an 04 Cobra that the previous owner installed 315/35R18 on 10.5's Long story short. Whoever installed these tires didnt put wheel spacers on and the tires were rubbing on the IRS support which caused A LOT of drag. It was enought to actually loosen the axle nut inside the rear hub causing the axle bearing to fail. not a very expesive fix but aggrivating none the less

Would 305/35/18s on a 18x10" wheel need a spacer to fit without rubbing, clearance issues? Anyone know?

postalbunny

Established Member
in same boat, I'm going to see if i can still thread one of the locking bolts on. Even if it doesn't have as much thread grip as before, some people don't even get the extended lug nuts and seem to be fine. I'll still use the extended nuts on the rest of the studs.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
So I'm thinking about putting some 10's or 10.5's in the rear. Bought the LFP 3/8" spacers and they come with longer lugnuts. (I have stock studs.) I know a lot of you are running spacers also. Is there any way to use the Ford locking lug? Or does it not have enough thread engagement? If not, are you running no locks in the rear or did you find some specialty locks?

I have those exact 3/8" spacers and exact extended lug nuts from LFP on my 18x10" wheels and with the MM shaved IRS bolt and rolled fenders my wheels fit flush with the fender and Ihave no rubbing issues at all. Also, I use the factory wheel lock on all 4 wheels without issue. Be sure to retighten your lug nuts every time you drive it for the first 3-5 times as sometimes the lugs loosen up since it's a new combo. After that they'll stay locked in. You will love the look/stance of your car after you add the spacers and the factory locks will be just fine. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread