Southwest or Delta rewards credit card?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
My wife and I were talking, and she is considering getting one or the other for her business so we can build mileage. Since we don't ever use credit cards for personal use, and she uses one for her business, why not gain some benefits. We usually take 2-3 trips a year where we fly. We typically go to Vegas and Jamaica every year, and maybe one more thrown in there. We like to fly Delta to Jamaica because we both love flying in and out of Atlanta. We usually fly Southwest to Vegas for the nonstop flights.

So, she has been trying to decide which card she should get. Does anyone have both, or had them both at one time that can suggest which one is better over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Love my Southwest card. The miles add up extremely quick and points for flights are less than others i have had. Add in the Early Bird seating or Business Class upgrade and you board in the low 1-15 portion of the A group. So my flights are normally $25 for just the upgrade(as we have so many points).

Either way, i think both can benefit you. I just happen to fly Southwest more than any other airline.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Love my Southwest card. The miles add up extremely quick and points for flights are less than others i have had. Add in the Early Bird seating or Business Class upgrade and you board in the low 1-15 portion of the A group. So my flights are normally $25 for just the upgrade(as we have so many points).

Either way, i think both can benefit you. I just happen to fly Southwest more than any other airline.

Awesome! Thanks man! I tend to like southwest for the Vegas flight, but love Delta for when we go to Jamaica just from the standpoint of flying in and out of Atlanta. Just wished that was a connecting hub for Southwest on their flights to Montego Bay. For the Southwest flights to Montego Bay they either connect in Chicago, Orlando, Baltimore, or Houston.

allister

Established Member
Have you done the math to compare how a mileage rewards card would compare with say, a 2% cash back on everything you spend credit card?

A few years ago I considered getting an airline card but when I read the fine print, there were so many stipulations on when I could use the flights. I did the math, at the time I had a 1% back on everything card, and realized I came out further ahead using a card with cash back on everything. That way I can use the money for whatever, and the few times a year when I do travel, I can shop for the best price (and travel times) across multiple airlines. I forget what airline it was that I was considering but there was an annual fee (waived the first year) but that part bothered me too.

Just something to consider!

Last edited:

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Have you done the math to compare how a mileage rewards card would compare with say, a 2% cash back on everything you spend credit card?

A few years ago I considered getting an airline card but when I read the fine print, there were so many stipulations on when I could use the flights. I did the math, at the time I had a 1% back on everything card, and realized I came out further ahead using a card with cash back on everything. That way I can use the money for whatever, and the few times a year when I do travel, I can shop for the best price (and travel times) across multiple airlines. I forget what airline it was that I was considering but there was an annual fee (waived the first year) but that part bothered me too.

Just something to consider!

We hadn't given any thought to doing that. Or I guess I should say she probably hasn't since it would be her using it for the business. I know for sure Southwest has a $95.00 annual fee, waived for the first year. I am not sure about Delta though.

sleek98

Established Member
I open up the SW card when they do the 50k miles, spend the 2-3k get the points deposited and then cancel the card. I use a 2% cash back card for everything else. You can use the SW bonus program every 2 years so we do it one year under my name and the next under my wifes name. It basically pays for our airfare on our yearly vacation.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Neither.

Get the AMEX Everyday card. You can transfer their Membership Rewards points to any airline you choose. I got the one with no annual fee, and I believe I get 2% on gas and supermarkets, and 1% on everything else, and if you make more than 20 purchases a month I get a 20% bonus. I usually transfer them to delta, and then pair them with my sky miles membership.

Coiled03

Established Member
Neither.

No such thing as a useful airline specific miles program anymore. You're better off getting a card that allows you to use points, or pays cash back.

Blackness03

Established Member
I open up the SW card when they do the 50k miles, spend the 2-3k get the points deposited and then cancel the card. I use a 2% cash back card for everything else. You can use the SW bonus program every 2 years so we do it one year under my name and the next under my wifes name. It basically pays for our airfare on our yearly vacation.

Does it hurt credit doing that? I was always told to not cancel any cards.

I have the American airlines card. You can build miles fast working the system but it sucks trying to work schedules around the days I can use them. I went to Vegas twice last year and twice the year before that for free though. Works for me!

sleek98

Established Member
Does it hurt credit doing that? I was always told to not cancel any cards.

I have the American airlines card. You can build miles fast working the system but it sucks trying to work schedules around the days I can use them. I went to Vegas twice last year and twice the year before that for free though. Works for me!

Yeah it kicks me down 5 points or so for doing it but I am always around 800 so I dont really care, it usually recovers a couple months later. I have a couple cards that are 8+ years old, and dont keep balances on them so that helps out more.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Neither.

We used to have an American Airlines card so that we could cash in for travel. Like you we usually fly 2-3 times a year for vacation, Vegas and an all inclusive somewhere in the islands. Seems like there were too many blackout dates and restrictions when we wanted to fly. We finally got rid of that card for the double cash Mastercard through CITI.

Southwest is always running incredible specials anyway, we just booked non stop flights to Vegas for $525 for the two of us. Plus you can cancel and rebook if flight prices drop free of charge.

Blown 89

Established Member
Neither. If you're stuck between the two fly Southwest, they're always cheaper by a large margin in my experience. Every time I fly Delta something goes wrong. Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive, Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport, Doing Everything Less Than Average.....ugh, I can't stand that airline.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Neither.

We used to have an American Airlines card so that we could cash in for travel. Like you we usually fly 2-3 times a year for vacation, Vegas and an all inclusive somewhere in the islands. Seems like there were too many blackout dates and restrictions when we wanted to fly. We finally got rid of that card for the double cash Mastercard through CITI.

Southwest is always running incredible specials anyway, we just booked non stop flights to Vegas for $525 for the two of us. Plus you can cancel and rebook if flight prices drop free of charge.

I wish we could have booked our August Vegas trip that cheap. I just looked at it was 795.92 total for my wife and I.

jbs$

Established Member
The Airline rewards cards have, for all intent and purpose, become worthless. Example, I have over 600,000 points on an American Airlines AAvantage card and cannot use them on any flight of value to me. I recommend, as I have done, go to a Capitol One Card. Here the points are used as a cash off-set against the price of your ticket. There are no black out dates to deal with and you can use any airline or other form of transportation to off-set against.

MFE

Established Member
Southwest's card used to be awesome when it earned you trip segments instead of miles. I used to get about 5 free round trips anywhere they flew every year just using the card for usual expenses and never carrying a balance. But they converted it to a miles-based accrual, and miles based awards, and they watered down what you earned in the first place. Now I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2 round trips a year and my expenditures on the card are the same as they always were.

That said...I'm not sure Delta's is any better. We got our Southwest card when we lived in Kansas and Southwest was the best carrier out of MCI by a mile. Is it still?

Users who are viewing this thread