Source for reman heads?

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Does anyone have a source for good reman heads or takeoffs for a 1996 Cobra? Mine are both bad on my car at 75k miles. I guess the guides allowed the valves to ruin them. I am not confident in the places offering remans I have researched online so I just wanted to ask here in case anyone had positive experiences. One place I found was Cylinder Heads International out of Texas but there were some worrisome experiences with other vehicles out on forums. Other places that claim to have them, like Odessa Cylinder heads in Clearwater, FL, have terrible Google reviews as well. With my luck lately I would be the next person posting another sob story. If there are multiple outcome possibilities I always seem to get worst case scenario.

Last edited:

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We can help you out getting those fixed up.
As long as the camshaft towers are not ruined we can save the heads.
We would need to see them to get you quoted.
If you just want a set of Mod heads re-conned or fully ported with custom guides oversize seats and valves we have you covered.
we would need your castings as we do not have any available in that year currently.

IA-SteveB

Established Member
Can you take a look at this hi-res pic of the current heads? --> Damaged head pic

It is like that on cylinders 1, 2, 6 and 7. There is galling around the base of the valve spring as indicated by the arrows. My mechanic thinks the valve guides allowed the spring, valve and valve cup to walk around, damaging the head. If I can get them reconditioned that would be ideal but I am also willing to buy some ready-to-go models and send back my cores. I need them loaded and ready to install. I attached the picture to give you an idea of what happened and whether my heads would be rebuildable or not. They are not off the car yet so I do not have pictures of the combustion side of the valve. My guy has never seen that happen before and we uncovered the madness troubleshooting a misfire on cylinder 1. I have scoured the Internet for similar stories with Cobras and it seems I am the only one on the planet today who has had this happen. :)

Last edited:

GRUSE

Established Member
Why not do the C head swap? C heads are plentiful the the local U pull it's.Swap in the B head intake cam,Mach 1 lower,USMC53CHIEF B to C adapter plate,fuel rail and a tune probably cost as much as the reman of B heads.Good luck

nomoretickets

Established Member
Why not do the C head swap? C heads are plentiful the the local U pull it's.Swap in the B head intake cam,Mach 1 lower,USMC53CHIEF B to C adapter plate,fuel rail and a tune probably cost as much as the reman of B heads.Good luck

^ This. If you have to remove the heads, there really isnt any compelling reason to not just swap to C heads.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have late 9 thread "C" heads available. CNC complete only. Off the shelf combos or custom heads
going from a early to late head swap does require some more parts.
Have you always wanted cams in your car?
Loaded with lash adjusters, camshafts, followers, primary gears, primary chains and cam bolts are also available.
Then you have a drop on assembly, this is very popular as installing camshafts and verifying the valvetrain geometry is something we like to set up to ensure the best operation.
Head studs, head gaskets, spark plugs in stock ready to go with heads

Users who are viewing this thread