sound system question

mambaman

Established Member
i'm looking to put a single 10 or 12 inch sub on my car, and i'm wondering exactly what i'm going to have to do to do this. i don't know if the 460 head unit has pre-amps(?????), but i'm assuming that if it does, the only major components i'll need are an amp and the sub itself. i'm not too informed on this subject, but if i could get some help i'd appreciatte it.

scothew_gt

Established Member
The mach460 does NOT have RCA pre-outs like you are hoping for. Your best bet is to either splice into the rear deck amps for your signal or get an aftermarket head unit and wiring harness to hook into the Mach460.

If stock stereo's just had pre-outs on them, i wouldnt have spent all the money I have in my system :)

SVTMUST97

Established Member
You can get a stealth box that fits very nice against the right side of the trunk. Take the Mach 460 out and put any kind you want. The set-up I have a Kenwood radio /w cassette, CD palyer, Kenwood amp that is mounted on wall that I builded on the left side of the trunk and a sthealth bow 10" on the right side. Still have room to put stuff in and get the spare tire out when racing at the track.

mambaman

Established Member
i'd relly prefer to keep the 460 and simply add a sub due to cost issues, i'd prefer to do something like the Infinity Basslink, i'm assuming to do this i'd need the amplifier interface adapter?

SVTMUST97

Established Member
are you going to the 100 anny in June. If yes well my car will be at the display you can take a look on how the system look. Maybe next winter you can do the system.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by mambaman
i'd relly prefer to keep the 460 and simply add a sub due to cost issues, i'd prefer to do something like the Infinity Basslink, i'm assuming to do this i'd need the amplifier interface adapter?

You should have a 5th order type box mounted to the rear trunk deck. This was in all Mach 460 cars. Unless they quit making them, JBL had a replacement powered sub that fit there. Supposedly a much better unit than the factory one. I've been digging trying to find it. Let you know if I can.

mambaman

Established Member
that sounds like a great option, but to be honest, i can get a basslink for $190 or so, so unless with the knowledge that with a little work i can get that to work on my stock sound system, i think that's what i'll probably end up purchasing

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Originally posted by mambaman
that sounds like a great option, but to be honest, i can get a basslink for $190 or so, so unless with the knowledge that with a little work i can get that to work on my stock sound system, i think that's what i'll probably end up purchasing

If your looking for the best system (sound wise) for your car.. id go ahead and leave your mach460 high's and mid's in the car.. get yerself a nice pioneer, or whatever brand cd player. That alone in it's self will make your mid's and high's sound better. Then go ahead and since your only looking for a 10 or 12 inch speeker.. get like a 4 or 500 watt amp with a built in crossover in it, or you can buy one seperate... and with which ever type of subwoofer you go with you should be just fine. For subwoofer's.. IMHO i'd go with JLAUDIO. I haven't seen a subwoofer to this day match JL sound quality with their clear distortion that the subwoofer makes.. expsecially with a crossover on it.

Just my .02 from when i used to ride around in a bass box :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread