Sound now unacceptable after installing offroad H-pipe. Need advice!

ROMM

Established Member
Bought a used 2014 Mustang GT a few months ago. The car already had some exhaust modifications. It has the factory manifolds, but some unknown brand of H-pipe with some high flow cats (I guess). It had the resonators removed and had 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. I was not crazy about the sound, so I opted for a set of RTR competition axle backs. A few days before they arrived a rattle started coming from under the car during cold starts. I figured it was something with the exhaust so when my new RTR's showed up and I brought the car to the muffler shop, I asked the tech to check it out. He took a rubber mallet to it and found the passenger side cat had something loose in it. He said that I needed to get that fixed asap. Anyway, I left the shop and loved the way the RTR's sound. A few days later I went to the speed shop to make an appointment to get my car dyno tuned and asked about the rattling cat. They also said I need to fix it asap. They recommended the Pypes offroad H-pipe, so I ordered it and made the install and dyno appointment. So the appointment day arrives, the new H-pipe (and MGW shifter!) is installed, and the car is dyno tuned. I pick the car up and notice the sound is now way different. It is much louder, too loud now lol. But that is not really a bad thing. The thing that is bad is when you engine brake the car, or say, let off the gas when you have it in gear and the revs drop. Well now the car sounds like an 18 wheeler doing a jake brake lol! It just sound terrible to me. It doesn't even have to be at a high rpm. It'll do it at 3000 rpm and up. No popping or rasp, just the sound of a huge fart dropping in tone as the revs drop lol.

So now the question is, what do I do about it? I have a few ideas:

1. Purchase a new H-pipe with cats (very costly)
2. Purchase a used set of GT500 mufflers and just sell the awesome RTR's.
3. Make an attempt to rid the jake brake effect and install some type of muffler where the resonators where, like a pair of Dynomax race bullets. These can be purchase for about $100 a pair.

Do you think option 3 will get rid of the annoying de-rev sound? I know it will tone down the volume a bit, but no idea if it will eliminate the jake brake effect. Anyone had this annoying de-rev I am talking about?

BTW now that the old H-pipe is out you can clearly see the broken part inside of the passenger side cat. Car runs good and pulls a little harder. The MGW shifter is great!

ROMM

Established Member
Here is a pretty good example of the sound, only it is worse. Just not fitting for a Mustang but cool for the truck in the vid.

[video=youtube;ovDhTEZEMs0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovDhTEZEMs0[/video]

snkbitten6

Established Member
The "de-rev" will always be there. Even with my wifes stock 2015 PP 5.0 car. Hers does the same thing, but you just amplified it with the Off Road mid pipe... Also I think H pipes sound like crap on anything. I run X pipes on all my stuff, but my car picks up rasp and cackle also with a straight through style muffler... Sounds like you don't like what the Off Road pipe sounds like/does to the exhaust note. If you aren't worried about losing power, put a catted mid pipe back on. You'll have SOME pop/cackle no matter what with an o/r pipe. The cats on there take care of most of that. An off road pipe and straight through muffler style is always loud and poppy.

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
The RTR comps sound absolutely horrible IMO. I had a set of them with a Lethal O/R H and resonator deletes. Bought them brand new and they were on the car for less than 25 miles before I pulled them and reinstalled my Borla S Types.

Borla S Types or GT500's are the best sounding A/B's for your setup. I'm back to running GT500's.

You can find OEM mid pipes with the cat pipes for under $200. I see them on Craigslist in my area all the time.

Resonators aren't going to make it sound much better.

noldevin

Established Member
Some axlebacks just sound like crap without cats. Basically any of the "race" or "competition" style muffers that are a straight through with a tiny can (like the roush ones) will be included in the "sounds like crap" group.

I will add that I had the Borla S types. With just an offroad H they were on the edge of tolerable while crusing at 2200-2500 RPM. Once I added headers it was over the top for me.

Honest Mike

Established Member
I have Kooks cat back and love it, straight through, but not overly loud like some of the others and ZERO drone. But I still have my cats.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Change to Borla touring or S type mufflers. You won't regret it. Zero drone and fairly mellow until you put your foot down

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
The GT500 axle backs are a go to for many people on the forums. I have the FRPP Sport Axle Backs and they are also nice sounding with my offroad H. I noticed an unfavorable "de-rev" sound after deleting my resonators with this setup. It may be the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

wr450

Established Member
Ive got the gt500 backs but the consensus on the kooks straight thru are the way to go u cannot beat a straight thru muffler that has the engineering and design to eliminate the drone might just have to pick up a pair wanna buy a slightly used set of gt500 axel backs

ROMM

Established Member
The "de-rev" will always be there. Even with my wifes stock 2015 PP 5.0 car. Hers does the same thing, but you just amplified it with the Off Road mid pipe... Also I think H pipes sound like crap on anything.

Umm we will just have to disagree. This is my second 2014 GT that I have owned. I have been through several different exhaust configs on both cars and none of them had this kind of sound on the de-rev. Of course the de-rev will always be there, my point of the thread is the sound of it.

H-pipes sound like crap on anything?? Again we will just have to disagree...

Last edited:

ROMM

Established Member
The RTR comps sound absolutely horrible IMO. I had a set of them with a Lethal O/R H and resonator deletes. Bought them brand new and they were on the car for less than 25 miles before I pulled them and reinstalled my Borla S Types.

Borla S Types or GT500's are the best sounding A/B's for your setup. I'm back to running GT500's.

You can find OEM mid pipes with the cat pipes for under $200. I see them on Craigslist in my area all the time.

Resonators aren't going to make it sound much better.

Well you see they sounded just awesome before the offroad H-pipe was installed. Way to loud and too much blap blap now. And then the terrible de-rev sound. I had GT500 mufflers with resonator deletes on my last 2014 Mustang GT. Yes they sounded great, but not loud enough for me. Actually the car was for my wife, so I didn't want to go too loud. I am kinda old school. I've had quite a few old school cars and really love the sound ('67 Camaro, '67 Mustang fastback, '68 Torino GT, '70 Torino GT, Shelby Cobra replica with a 427 stroker, etc).

Also, I don't want to add resonators again. I was thinking to install another race type mufflers in place of the resonators. There was a guy from Louisiana on this site who had the Dynomax ultra flow mufflers with the Dynomax race bullets where the resonators used to be. The car sounded great. Maybe he will chip in. He seemed like an old school sound kinda guy.

ROMM

Established Member
I would just change the axle backs. GT500's will quiet it down a lot, as will Borla Touring and Magnaflow Streets.

I will probably go with the GT500 mufflers. Hopefully they will be louder without the cats. Like I said, I had the GT500's, resonator delete with factory H-pipe and manifolds setup on my last 2014 GT, but I wished it was louder. I don't know if I want to spend Borla or Magnaflow money again for another axleback. I am gonna have to sell these awesome RTR's and take a loss on them.

ROMM

Established Member
Here is the guy I was talking about with the Dynomax ultra flow mufflers and Dynomax race bullets in place of resonators. The beauty of this setup is the price. The mufflers can be had for about $58 apiece, and the race bullets for around $51 apiece. Tips are about $25 apiece. Pretty sweet sounding setup for well under $300. They guy says they had no drone either. You can even Amazon Prime these things. The bad thing is the way the mufflers hang at an angle.

[video=youtube;qAjo9am4dko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjo9am4dko[/video]

JDos1

Established Member
I will probably go with the GT500 mufflers. Hopefully they will be louder without the cats. Like I said, I had the GT500's, resonator delete with factory H-pipe and manifolds setup on my last 2014 GT, but I wished it was louder. I don't know if I want to spend Borla or Magnaflow money again for another axleback. I am gonna have to sell these awesome RTR's and take a loss on them.
Don't worry, cats do provide more sound deadening than actual mufflers. It'll be a lot louder.

Zemedici

Established Member
The cats help tone down the system, which is why each and every longtube setup we install gets HFCs vs O/R setups (unless otherwise requested by the customer) - Have yet to have a customer upset with how their car sounds.

Put HFCs on it, and let her eat. Offroad is too rowdy, imo.

ROMM

Established Member
Some axlebacks just sound like crap without cats. Basically any of the "race" or "competition" style muffers that are a straight through with a tiny can (like the roush ones) will be included in the "sounds like crap" group.

I will add that I had the Borla S types. With just an offroad H they were on the edge of tolerable while crusing at 2200-2500 RPM. Once I added headers it was over the top for me.

The RTR comps are a chambered muffler, not straight through.

Anyway, I just ordered some Dynomax race bullets. I will have these installed where the resonators where originally and see if this tames the down the axle backs. They where cheap so I figured I would try them out. I hope it works out as I loved the RTR sound prior to the ORH-pipe. If it still doesn't sound good to me, then I will just go with some GT500's or Dynomax Ultraflow's.

They guy who posted the vid that I posted up earlier said they sound good. Found a few of his threads:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?830907-replacing-resonators-with-bullet-mufflers

wr450

Established Member
U want a straight thru over a chamberd guy that works on my 95 cobra that had flowmasters when i bought it told.me to ditch them for magnaflows because they rob horsepower sure enough car felt much better and sounds better also

Users who are viewing this thread