Sound - how does centri compare to roots or TS?

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
they do suck from a torque point of view. Hated the belt alignment issues, but I did like the whistling from it though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is a centri better if you are wanting longer engine life? Seems like the roots or ts give you the power more abruptly where as the centri sort of eases into it. Wanting knowledge for a future mod.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

You're shoving extra air/pressure into the engine. It's going to be hard on it no matter what. A bad tune can kill an engine just as fast with a centri as with a PD style. A good tune and keeping up on maintenance is the secret to getting life out of an engine. But plan on eventually having to rebuild with better parts.

Your cylinders will be under the higher boost for your setup for longer with the roots vs centri; however, it's not that big of a deal to me because there is a bypass valve on the tvs that will close when you stomp it and when you're cruising under a certain load, it will remain open keeping you from running boost all the time as the vortices are spinning. Centri is more efficient as well, but tradeoff is wait time to get to full boost. At higher power levels, that may be a good thing so you don't blow your tires off. At the same time, you can still do that with either setup if you don't have the right tire setup and driver.

A centri set up has a BOV/BPV as well. All blower set ups need to have one. A centri is moving a lot of air at idle. Especially when you start moving down in pulley sizes.

Here's my theory/experience.... Centris get called out for lack of torque because people bolt them on and pulley them for 6psi on the top end. So yeah, they're not going to produce the down low numbers because the boost isn't there. Once you start spinning a centri harder the torque comes on a lot faster. I had a dyno graph from my old D1 set up on my 5.3 and the torque looked like a PD blower set up. Yes, the extra cubes helped, but having the blower pullied agressively makes a difference. I ran a D1, T trim, and an F1A on that engine. It never lacked for down low torque. I could blow the tires off just as bad as any PD set up.

Belt alignment can suck. I chased that issue for a couple months. But even PD blowers can suffer from it. My buddy is dealing with it with his Metco lower set up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
heres my D1 Mach on pump then E85, Its not super massive torque but its not a torqueless wonder

1B732AAC-74CA-4A5C-A842-1FE358A556BB_zpsy6dbmcpl.jpg

718A60D5-ED82-4420-BBF7-E34FA8E7053B_zpsi52iaz7g.jpg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
oh man I'm getting blades videos flashbacks, the golden days of SVTP hahaha

I've always equated roots/screw types to more of a whine, and the centris to more of a blowing sound, like a turbo.

You guys want to talk about whistle though, I remember the people that put the cog drives on their blowers, I'll see if I can scrape up some videos

Talk about sounding like a jet engine:

If I remember correctly, the extra whine is from air escaping between the belt and the ridges of the cog

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Not so much of a cog fan but I love the scream of an eaton, magnum powers or old KB

I scared a lot more people with my lightning than I care to admit to

Users who are viewing this thread